SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gman68558

Meyer lemon dropping healthy leaves - new theory...

gman68558
18 years ago

This is a continuation of my earlier thread.

After much internet research I'm now thinking that my problem has to do with an unusual fluctuation in temperature. Apparantly this is a common cause of excessive leaf drop.

I live very close to the beach, so it is often overcast and/or hazy in summer. It could be 85 degrees a couple of miles inland, but 65 degrees at the beach. Anyway, the last week or so has been unusually warm after a long period of hazy weather. Probably around 80 degrees, but compounded by the location of the plant on a narrow deck which reflects a lot of heat. I wouldn't be surprised if the temperate on the deck was +15 or 20 degrees. Here is a picture of the deck which contains a Key lime (in foreground), and the Meyer lemon in the background:

{{gwi:603607}}

Anyway, I was thinking it's odd that the Key lime hasn't lost a leaf in recent memory, and yet the Meyer has been shedding them like crazy. They are both in the same size pot, same soil, same watering and fertilizing schedule and everything. So maybe the Key lime is more tolerant of the change in temperature? Does this sound like a plausable theory?

Comments (5)