SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chiaki0730

Planting everygreen clematis w/other vine?

chiaki0730
17 years ago

Hi!

This is my first time post and I'm new to clematis. I'm in seattle, wa (I believe the zone is 8...)

I have 5' tall 60' long concrete retaining wall between our driveway and neighbor's property, and they have 3-4' tall chain link on top of it.

I dug out the soil along the wall last weekend to prepare planting evergreen clematis. Nursery guy suggested me to plant them at least 5' apart. But I would love to plan another kind of vine next spring to add more bloom/colors over the everygreen clematis, wondering if it's still ok to plant them 5' apart.

I also got a couple of more questions that I think I should know before I plant them within a couple of weeks.

Q1) Should I plant them more than 5' a part to make a space for another vine later?

Q2) When would be best to plant another vine? I'm wondering if I plant them same time, it will be covered by everygreen clematis eventually? Is there any tricks to prevent it?

Q3) The site is east facing, will get morning sun, but won't get much sun at the ground level. How long it would take to cover the wall?

Q4) Besides spring/summer flowering clematis, what other vine would be great to combine with everygreen clematis? Should I make separate support for them?

Q5) Have you seen any pictures of these vine combination covering fence/wall? I've been trying to find them online, but has not been very successful.

Thank you for your help/advices in advance!!

-b

Comments (8)