SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandysseeds007

now you know we all like the huge blooms....

sandysseeds007
16 years ago

Take a deep breath...Hibiscus moscheutos - dinner plate sized flowers.

Next year, these will flank Frosty's on both sides. Not sure if behind or toward the front or...

{{gwi:584347}}

{{gwi:584348}}

Tropical in a pot in the ground and now indoors, dropped her old leaves and has new ones plus a bud.

{{gwi:584349}}

Next year these will flank Charles.

{{gwi:584350}}

{{gwi:584351}}

This is the same maroon flowered plant, it's in more sun and it's a little pinker than I remember it being.

{{gwi:584353}}

I just had to show you all these...you all deserve to know about them...problem is...there's so many kinds.

Think brugs and match colors and that might just limit some of your new needs.

Those of you with lots of color brugs, well I've already got my head screwed on, so don't think you can come around and get me back for this.

I have lots of babies that didn't flower this year, only about 8-12" tall from seed. Some solid pink, pink and white like the ones in the picture, others white with a red eye and a whole group of noids as they were loose at the bottom of the seed box. oh...and some hot pinks, but they're not so platish, more pointed petals. Lots didn't germinate at all, eBay buys of lord baltimore and the lady baltimore of which I advise you to check out before you dive in - they'd be my first choice. There are other hardy's but you should go into the hibiscus forum and search for hardy. But I'm sure we'd all like to hear of any plans to mix with brugs...share your ideas.

And except for the tropical hardy pink (double bloom) they come back, hardy to zone 4 (some say), grow 3-8'tall, narrow and they'd need stalking if you don't pinch them, and the blooms are dinner plate size, smaller when the plant is young and on some varieties they may be about 6-8".

The 2 kinds pictured I bought as 18" plants from Colasanti's in Leamington, they only grew to 2 1/2' this year, nest year they should be 6'. They are luna red and the other is close to luna blush but the pink dips into the petals and isn't limited to the outside of the petals. There's also a pinwheel pink/white that has half pink petal and half white going toward the middle- I lost those to. But hey...maybe they're among the noid babies growing in that patch.

I'll be focusing more on these than datura's (except for lots of triple yellow and a few double purple - they're worth growing every year but they're hard for me to grow) - At least until my babies grow big, cause then I'll have a problem. I don't have the room/light indoors nor a greenhouse like some of you...lol....that might be hysteria, I've got a long winter ahead of me...gonna go mope now)

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery