SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
libraqueen81

tree advice from experienced gardener

libraqueen81
10 years ago

Hi! I'm a fairly novice gardener since 2011. Today my issue is conifers and placement.
I have one pic here, it is a side view of the front of my property. It is blazing full sun there, so the conifer will need to like the sun. It doesn't shade out until 2 feet past the last Magnolia. There are 2 large half moon retaining walls with a Magnolia in each in the center.

The issue is we are in a hill and the house is below the street and EVERYONE who walks my dead end stares into my home that I cannot open the drapes. I do wish for something else to place up there that gives a bit more privacy. Not a thick screen, but a little block of view, and of course something interesting with variety.

Last spring I bought 2 weeping norfolk-Picea abies 'Pendula'- and placed them a distance either side of the smaller Magnolia.

I know these guys get wider than taller, so my question is,

1. Would it be unwise or too much in one plot to add 2 more of them staggered and behind in a second row a bit farther back?

2. Should I be looking for a different conifer?

Any advice, like I said is much appreciated. Like I said I am fairly new, the only things I have kept alive are Lavender..tons and tons of lavender, and I have kept 6 'Emerald Green' Arborvitae -Thuja occidentalis- alive in the past 2 years. So fingers crossed I'm doing something right by all my reading up.

Thanks much!

Comments (7)