SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengal48

I just had to share :-)

I know this is probably old news for most of you, but I just received my first ever mail order clematis. I typically buy from local (and my own) nurseries but finding the clems I want locally is getting to be a bit trickier as time goes on. I prefer the species and small flowered vines over the LFH's most nurseries seem to focus on. I was in Oregon last week and visited Joy Creek. Although they didn't have much available on their retail tables, I did discover several clematis in their display gardens that I loved. Unfortunately one that I really wanted is sold out for the season but I ordered several others once I got home.

I have to say the order was processed extremely rapidly, I received the plants virtually overnight, shipping costs were negligible (probably because of my proximity) and they were well packed and beefy specimens. I'm very pleased!! I think I'll do this again :-)

Oh - this is what I got: triternata 'Rubromarginata', 'Haizawa' and patens 'Yukiokoshi'. Clematis heracleifolia 'Little Blue' will have to wait until next year.

Comments (28)

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Welcome to the world of mail order gardengal!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Miguel. I can see where this could become a bit habit forming.......:-))

• Related Discussions

An amazing garden I just had to share...

Q

Comments (17)
    Gorgeous! I agree, it is the delphiniums that put it all together. That and the hollyhocks. Every cottage garden picture ever painted consistently has those two plants in it. Pink hollyhocks and tall blue delphiniums, LOL! The rose on the house is unbelievable! It appears that the siding is stucco (cement) and that the roof is slate, so the rose couldn't harm much of anything there. On a shingled roof and on wood siding you would have a moisture problem with a massive rose covering most of the house, it would take a long time for everything to dry out and could cause significant rot from the moisture. The answer could be as easy as building a long trellis that could be walked under along a couple sides of your house with roses dripping from the trellis. In magazines you often see trellis like that along two sides of a swimming pool with luxurious patio furniture underneath. Does anyone know what the blue flower spray is in the first column going down to #13? It really awesome looking and looks amazing with the orange flower beside it! MeMo
    ...See More

I just had to share this

Q

Comments (8)
    That is beautiful beyond words. I hope my garden growns up to look like that. Thanks for sharing. Donna
    ...See More

I just had to share this with y'all 6 yo singer

Q

Comments (1)
    Barb, I had seen that one before. It almost brought tears to my eyes! She is a cutie. Necia
    ...See More

Just had to share...

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm glad you had a great time! I am thinking of meeting Rebecca at a stamping convention this spring! I hope I have off from work and can go! Love Penny
    ...See More
  • rosethyme
    16 years ago

Welcome! Oh yes, very very addicting. :) Hope you will share some photos when they bloom...haven't heard of Haizawa.

• flowerfan2
    16 years ago

You will love xtriternata rubromarginata. It does so well in the Pacific northwest with our mild climate. I have 4 of them. I planted 2 by the front door and 2 by the back door so I can enjoy their fragrance when I go in and out. If planted in full sun it gets very large, blooms for 2 months, and has thousands of blooms. The ones I planted in a shadier site only get about half as large, but still have the nice fragrance.

I was not familiar with Haizawa and Yukiokoshi. I looked them up on COW. Haizawa is a cute pink viorna type. Yikiokoshi was not listed. What is that one like? You will have to post photo's when it blooms. Here is a photo of one of my XRM. Karen

{{gwi:586399}}

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Wow, wish I had room for that monster!

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Gardengal, if you like natives, you must get both viorna and texensis. Glaucophylla is another great one.

Viorna should probably be available from Dan at Brushwood next spring if not later this fall. Dan started them from seed that I collected from a local native stand of plants at a nearby lake. He sent me pictures of them this spring and he was unsure when they would be ready for sale.

Sunlight Gardens in Tennessee has sold glaucophylla in the past but didn't have it this year. Their site says available 2008 or later. Ellen Horning at Seneca Hills Perennials is going to have glaucophylla and viorna in the spring, among others. Carol Lim, another of the native clematis lovers, and I both have sent Ellen seeds of our plants in the past and she will be getting more from me this fall.

I had Triternata rubromarginata and planted it last fall. I planted it not where I intended because the labels got mixed up somehow. This spring it took off like gangbusters and flowered but then early summer started browning out. I whacked it back and the plant still has not reappeared.

I know that the British can have issues with this plant, saying that it tends to rot out in their wet winters. Not sure what is going on with mine since it was mound planted and watered via a soaker hose this summer. I am already planning on planting some other clematis in its place since I truly think it is a goner. By removing it however, I will have room for 4 to 6 other clematis in its place!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's not so much I like natives but that I just prefer species or small flowering clematis over the LFH's. I do have a few natives already planted, including texensis, ligusticifolia and pitcheri. Not sure that I'd want a viorna or glaucophylla as they look so much like the 'Haizawa' and I just don't have room for that many :-) In fact, I have no idea where any of the dozen or so new clematis I've gotten this season are going to go......with the possible exception of 'Rubromarginata'. I managed to decimate a very large and well established montana 'Rubens' this past season and I now have a big hole to fill in that spot!

I think I've come to the conclusion that there are only so many clematis one can cram into a rather petite urban garden that is already heavily overplanted. But I just can't stop buying :-))

btw, here is 'Yukiokoshi':

Here is a link that might be useful: C. patens 'Yukiokoshi'

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Yukiokoshi looks interesting Gardengal. Just checked out Haizawa--looks very similar to viorna to me so I think I would prefer the native viorna to a hybrid that looks similar to it. I think the viorna genetics out played the crispa genetics in that hybrid.

Viorna and glaucophylla are two different clematis in my eyes however as the flower size, shape and coloration, as well as the foliage shape and coloration are quite different. Then again, I prefer the bell or campanalate shaped flowers to the big flat out open flowers of the type IIs. Guess that is why there are so many different varieties out there--to cater to everyone's individual desires and whims! :)

• flowerfan2
    16 years ago

I love that Yukiokoshi. You will have to let us know how it does in your garden.

I have the same problem A very small urban yard that is overplanted. I have 60-70 clematis crammed into every spot imaginable. They are on the house,the fence, every tree and large shrub,over other vines and in pots. I would love to buy some of the newer varieties so I think I am going to have to do some thinning out of the varieties that have not done well for me. It really doesn't make sense to continue to grow duds when there are so many other varieties to choose from. This will give me a little more room to indulge in new varieties. That Omoshiro looks so lovely in photo's I think I may have to pick that one up next year.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Flowerfan, I agree. I routinely get rid of non performing plants so I can have room for new ones. I also have a very small urban yard. DH won't give up the lawn. I give them to friends who aren't as picky as I am or compost them. There are several Clems that are on their last chance with me right now. There are too many great ones to put up with bad ones.

• flowerfan2
    16 years ago

BOS, what is on your list of poor performing clematis that will get the heave ho?

I am going to ax Huldine. I just love the flower but it gets powdery mildew every year. This year the clems next to it got powdery mildew also. It has to go.

I have two Comtesse de Bouchard that I have had for 8 years. Every year it produces 14' of foliage and then just a handfull of flowers the end of August. I have read so many great things about this vine so I hung onto it, but it has never lived up to it's reputation in my garden.

I also planted a vitalba, which wasn't too bright. They can be so invasive by seed that I think I had better pull it out before it takes over my whole yard. I have seen 40' trees near the river that are being smothered by this vine.

I am also going to do some moving around. Some are in too much shade and others need more room.

So I should have room for 4 new ones. I guess I will have all winter to figure out what I can't live without.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Only goes to show that what does well in one garden doesn't do so in others. I have Huldine and have never had an issue with powdery mildew on it. Now I could give a list of others that I have had an issue with it on. This year I tried a Neem oil based triple acting product on those clematis that are prone to mildew and haven't had an issue with powdery mildew or any mildew problems of any sort. If you really love Huldine, then you might want to give it a try before you give her the heave ho!

{{gwi:580639}}

• flowerfan2
    16 years ago

Oops, I mean Rooguchi is my powdery mildew magnet, not Huldine. I love Huldine. It's been blooming since June for me. Miguel, I know me and I would never get around to spraying. It is just too much bother for me. I might try growing Roochi in a big pot. Maybe with daily water it might not develop PM.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I gave away Asao, alpina Willy and macropetala Rosy O'Grady because the colors are too pale for me.

Henryi was just pruned to 6" to give it one more chance. I didn't care if it died but it didn't. The woody stems sprouted like crazy and up from the roots too.

I'm not happy with the growth, bloom or mildew on Barbara Harrington.

I'm not happy with the mildew on Zion, Arabella, Betty Corning, Princess Diana but at least they bloom reasonably well. I'm not a sprayer. I just never seem to get it done.

Not happy with wilting on Hania, Ville de Lyon, Violet Elizabeth.

Wasn't happy with extreme fading on Richard Pennell but I've moved it and will see what happens.

• flowerfan2
    16 years ago

BOS that is quite a list you have. It is nice to know which varieties may not due well in the PNW. The plants I grow on your list are Arabella, Betty Corning, Ville de Lyon and Asao. Ville de Lyon has a bad case of powdery mildew(It was next to Rooguchi)and bloomed poorly for me. Betty and Arabella did great, no mildew. They were on the other side of the house from Rooguchi. My Asao I have in a northwest exposure so the color doesn't fade in the shade. I know my Nelly Moser can bleach out to white when given too much sun. I have read a lot of posts that complain about Henryi. It seems to perform poorly for a lot of other gardeners as well. I have stayed away from that one.

My patio clematis did lousy this year as well-Versailles and Angelique. Those I will put up with for awhile longer. I think the root systems are immature and trying to produce all those flowers causes them to wilt. I will give them 2 years and if they are still wilting they will get the heave ho also.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

My Ville de Lyon has mildew too but so does the rose it is climbing with. It has never had more than six blooms. I love the flower but this plant has been a dud. I have seen gorgeous mature specimens locally though in several display gardens. This one was brought home from work half dead already five years ago and has never thrived.

Despite the mildew, I love Betty Corning. It did grow 8' tall in it's second year after planting and had dozens of blooms as did Princess Diana.

Part of Henryi's problem was my failure to hard prune first few years. It grew three 8'long woody vines with a few flowers on top. I whacked it down to lowest green buds and it did improve significantly.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I whacked it down to the lowest green buds last year and it did improve significantly but I whacked it again recently as I still had almost six feet of bare woody vines.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Flowerfan, use the product I listed and you won't have to water every day with Roguchi in a pot. This is the driest and hottest August on record for NC and Roguch is mildew free with me just spraying it three times over the entire summer. The plant is in the ground and only gets watered once a week. Watering mildew prone plants has never helped in my garden.

• carol23_gw
    16 years ago

I don't think glaucophylla with its contrasting sepal colors and bluish foliage can be surpassed.
    Here in PA it blooms from early June through to frost.
    Hummingbirds cannot stay out of it! Seed heads are ornamental.

{{gwi:616234}}

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

I agree Carol, quite an attractive vine and flowers. Mine is throwing out a few flowers even now in our heat wave and drought. I must say however that this year even my addisonii is still throwing off flowers. Perhaps the heat and adverse conditions are making it think it is going to die soon and it needs to keep making flowers. You can see in a picture I took this morning that it still has flowers and there are buds still developing. You and I both seem to be the ones interested in these native clematis! Let me know if you want seeds of this one in addition to the texensis!

{{gwi:580256}}

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Very cute!

• carol23_gw
    16 years ago

Yes, I'd love seed of that addisonii! What a beauty!

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

10-4 Carol, you have been added to the list. ;)

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Hello Gardengal, Nckvilledudes, Buyorsell and everyone. I loved the Yukiokoshi. It is a stunner. I really admire the petal formation.

Since we're sharing... I just came back from picking up two more Clems that I have been wanting for quite a while. I bought Josephine (evijohill) and Arctic Queen (Evitwo)! I am very excited about these new additions. I will be clearing out some japanese iris to make room for them on the trellis. I love the fall sales, they were marked down 30%. I was very pleasantly surprised to find them at my local nursery. I was just getting ready to make the leap and order online.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I have both of them. They are too young for me to say how well they do but so far, so good. Fall sales are great. I paid $4.99 yesterday for a one gallon Piilu.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

That was a steal! Great find! The arctic queen has lots of vines and foliage with quite a few blooms on it already and the Josephine is much thinner with 3 vines and a couple of small blooms. I was thinking of cutting them back before I plant them to give their roots some juice. Any thoughts?

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

I cut back every Clematis I plant.

• tracyvine
    16 years ago

Thank you! I thought that might be a good idea.