SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
georich5

Chicken Q's for Glenda and Kent and other 'Egg Ranchers'

15 years ago

My girls have frost bite on their combs...poor babies. We have no heat in their coop but it is very tight and comfy. We're still getting 4 to 6 eggs a day. Bless'em. I hate to think of them in pain with their boo-boo heads (Leghorns only). The red hens seem to be doing fine.

Here's my big question: I have my big maze of arbs right next to the coop. Last year they loved being free range and running through it and all my flower beds looking for bugs. At that time I didn't use any fetilizer like Hollytone or Miraclegro when they were old enough to let out. Now I'm worried about it poisoning them or doing nasty stuff to the eggs. So in the Spring what would you advise?

I do have access to horse manure and of course the "girls" contribute, but I need tons of it.

Never thought I could have so much fun with chickens...We're swapping eggs for neighborhood good stuff. Bread, pickles, peanut brittle, horse manure, snow plowing, plants, etc. It might be one of the smartest things we've done to help save. We're getting more in the Spring.

Got any advice for me?

georgeanne and the Belle sisters...Tinker, Lulu, Anna, Clara, and Cagney and Lacey

Comments (16)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County