SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Another shrub/clematis planting question

kimcoco
15 years ago

My lilac shrub gets mildew every year, without fail, no matter what I do (I've treated it to no avail). This year, I trimmed it up like a multi-stemmed tree, and still got mildew.

That being said, are clems prone to mildew? If so, I may have to reconsider planting a clem next to my tree.

Thoughts?

{{gwi:38612}}

Comments (19)

• funnelweb
    15 years ago

Do your neighbours, that is, other folks in and about your area, succeed with Lilac? Mildew is a problem in humid areas - I get it on my roses and also, today, I noticed it on some of my Salvias! Strange, I thought! I don't bother too much over it; but a tip: Plant plants prone to it in windy positions, and allow space between them - good air circulation is the key, and if it still occurs, occsionally use a fungicide, such as Triphorine.

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    15 years ago

My lilacs mildew also, but it doesn't seem to hurt them, so I leave it alone. Some clematis do mildew, but most of mine do not. Rooguchi has a reputation for mildewing, but I'm not sure what other ones do. Maybe someone from a more humid area will chime in here.

• Related Discussions

Another question about potting up clematis

Q

Comments (9)
    I have some I grew from cuttings taken when I pruned mine last year, and I'm keeping them in pots for now, too, since they're still small. They started growing pretty tall, and I also snipped them back to about 8" tall so they can concentrate on root development. Mine are still in 4" pots, so I need to move them up to 1 gallon soon, I think. I'm still not sure if I should plant them outside this fall or next spring. They seem so tender! At least the skinniness of their stalks and all. Are they tougher than they look when this small?
    ...See More

Question About Planting Potted Clematis

Q

Comments (2)
    I plant whenever the ground isn't frozen, though I tend to avoid July and August when it can be really hot and dry. Mine have done well planted in the fall and also have done well planted in the spring as soon as the ground was dry enough to work, the earlier the better so that they have a chance to settle in prior to summer's heat. After I plant I mulch to keep moisture more even.
    ...See More

Replacing shrub with clematis

Q

Comments (8)
    No problem. There are tons of integrifolia types out there and not sure if you have ever used the Clematis on the Web website or not but it is a great resource of info on clematis. I searched for the Boulevard collection instead of the patio collection and came up with what is linked below. If you click on each of the names listed, you will get information on the various clematis. Just realize that 1 meter equals about 3.28 feet. The heights given are just averages and what you get in your garden may be shorter or taller. Here is a link to the search function on COTW: http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemlistsearch.cfm If you copy and paste the link into your browser and hit go, and then go down to where it says Approximate Mature Height, choose 1 meter or less, and then hit the Search Now button, you will get a list of clematis that will be 3 feet tall or less. Good luck and let us know what you end up getting and we would love to see pictures when you have flowers. Here is a link that might be useful: Search on COTW for Boulevard Collection
    ...See More

Another question: why did my clematis die?

Q

Comments (5)
    Huh. I went out and gave the dead stems of the clematis a good tug and they came up easily. Not much left in the way of roots, in fact. Perhaps we do have a critter that eats roots, though it hasn't been an issue in the past. I know that small rodents adore my hyacinth and tulip bulbs: one of the reasons I'm so fond of narcissus. Buyorsell and nhbabs, thanks for the suggestions. Melissa
    ...See More
  • lalalandwi
    15 years ago

I read up on powdery mildew long time ago & if memory serves the mildew is only related to a particular species. Meaning the mildew that is on the lilac stays only with lilacs (all plants in the Syringa genus) & the clematis mildew stays with clematis; they don't cross over. I'll see if I can find the article for you.

All in the same breath, you still need to plant a clematis that is not susceptible to it. If the lilac gets it, it is definately stating that the conditions are right for clematis to get it as well.

I have Ville de Lyon & Niobe planted 5' from each other. Exact same environmental conditions: sun, water, air circulation etc. Ville is covered in the dew where Niobe is clean as a whistle. They both get really good air circulation so my best guess is that the morning sun drying off the foliage ASAP is where it is at for me. They are in full sun from 11:30am til sundown.

There are very few lilacs in this area that I have seen mildew free.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I really like how you pruned the lilac.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Last year all of my type IIIs got mildew.

This year only texensis 'Princess Diana' and 'Arabella' have it.

I know the texensis cultivars are susceptible

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Funnelweb -
    My neighbors had mildew problems with theirs too, but minimal compared to ours - better air circulation. After trimming it up this year, I thought I'd get lucky but it's such a crammed area I think there's no hope. My roses get mildew too. I've been using a home concoction of baking soda, water, and vinegar I believe...or maybe I'm confusing the recipe with my aphid spray? It seems to work (on the roses), and then the rains come...

Buyorsell -
    Glad you like it, I'm happy with the results. Trimming it up gives us more space on our patio, though its days are numbered. So does the mildew affect the overall performance of the clematis?

Lalaland, of the clematis that I have to choose between planting here are Viticella Minuet (type 3) and Marie Boisselot (type 2). I wanted the white for a nicer contrast, then ordered the Minuet as an afterthought since it will probably handle the sun better than MB (full sun from noon forward), and a longer bloom time. As a sidenote, if I get ONE more clematis it will probably be Ville de Lyon - very striking (that is if I can't get my hands on a Walenberg). LOL I just can't stop...

• lalalandwi
    15 years ago

I hear you, I can't stop either! I keep telling myself "just 1 more".

You are going to hate me. I searched this forum & found out Donahue's in MN does mail order for fall shipping. According to their website all of their clematis is only $10! I haven't placed an order yet (only to get my must haves! I'm going to see what flowerfan says about XRM 1st) so I don't know what shipping will be like, but that is dang cheap! They have Ville de Lyon (listed under reds...not pinks!), but not Walenburg.

I too have Walenburg on my mind! Last week I called Monches to see if they still had any & they are sold out. I still might do a psycho run out there in case they missed any, maybe tomorrow if I have time. They are about a hour drive, way out in the boonies. If there are any, do you want me to get you 1? I believe they are $17ish. I haven't seen it available by mail order as of yet. 1 that is pretty close to Walenburg is Tango. More of pure red instead of a blue red. So if we can't find Walenburg...

I was at Stein's the other day & they have their clematis on sale for 20% off, still a rip off compared to what you can get elsewhere. Julia Correvan, Etoile Violette for $32 in 1g containers (originally $40)? Please! I have found at least a half dozen nurserys in this area that are selling the same size clematis for $12-13.

As far as my opinion on which 1 to plant with your lilac? Don't hate me for saying this, but I'd get rid of the lilac & plant something there you love & then plant the clematis of your choice or vice versa (LOL)! If you really say what you mean about it's days being numbered I wouldn't bother planting a clematis to accomodate it. It takes 3 yrs for a clematis to get established & if 3 yrs from now you decide you are going to get rid of it, you've wasted 3 yrs of a clematis getting established & then have to disturb it's root system to get rid of the lilac? I can't tell for sure from the pic, but it looks like it is planted really close to the house & your porch & it looks like it might be a pruning nightmare. It being planted that close to the house might be causing it to not get the air circulation you need to avoid the dew. If you decide to keep the lilac, I'm not sure Ville would work there due to it's susceptibility to the dew. According to buyorsell, all the type 3's are susceptible. Looks like you HAVE to buy a new 1! HaHa!

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

I had 4 lilacs and they all got mildew every year.

Viburnums are nice.

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I looked on Donahue's website, and I don't see any info about the sale. I went to the home page, clematis page, and I'm stumped. ???? For $10, yes, I could always make room for more. LOL

Hmmmmm...about the Walenburg...IF they do have Walenburg, I would consider a trade for Mary Rose if you are interested. LOL I was sitting here contemplating for the longest time, should I or shouldn't I? Walenburg is so stunning.

I remember someone on this forum telling me that Minuet is a better grower than Tango, so I opted for the Minuet (and now I have two). Like you, my eye also caught the XRM in flowerfan's photobucket, but then I saw the size of it. Wow! What a (pretty) monster. I just hope my Polish Spirit doesn't get that big because it would take over the two clems I planted next to it.

I got my Marie Boisselot from Stein's - but it's a tiny one from the clearance rack, I think I paid maybe $6. I looked at the larger varieties, "on sale" and I agree they are so ridiculously priced. And they don't even look that good.

So what half dozen nurseries do you visit, I'm curious? Of course I frequent Minors the most, but missed the clematis rush this year, I've also seen clems at Milaegers, Lowes, Steins, Home Depot and Menards. Just wondering where else in Milwaukee you have found them - if you don't mind sharing of course. :)

If you are interested in a Bonanza, I've heard it's a nice grower, there was still one at Menards off of 43rd & National (south of national, on Miller Parkway/43rd).

Veering off track here, there was a greenhouse that would set up next to the gas station on N. 70th & Center St. every spring, and two years ago they stopped renting out the space. I don't know where they moved, but that's where I got all my hanging baskets from. They had a fabulous selection of hanging baskets and annual flowers, and reasonably priced. Are you familiar with them and if so, by any chance do you know where they moved? The gas station attendant told me that they just didn't show up one year, and that was that.

I agree with every word you say about the lilac tree and the clems, and for that reason I've been putting off planting my clems. I really wanted to take it out this year, but for various reasons we opted not to. Not just that but the porch is being re-done, probably next year, so planting anything there is really pointless. I was trying to spruce it up for the interim, and needless to say I've been bitten by the clematis bug!

I DO still have room in my yard, I'll just have to "rearrange" some other perennials. :)

So Ville de Lyon at Donahues....

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

The priced $9.95 shows when you put a clematis in your shopping cart.

• lalalandwi
    15 years ago

Are you serious!!!! You would give her up?! I really want you to think twice about that! I do not see her available locally or mail order & you may not have another chance to get your hands on her again. If you are serious, it's a deal. I just don't want you to resent me in any sort of way in years to come!

I'm not sure if you had a chance to read flowerfans' post on XRM. She says it stays smaller than a sweet autumn, I know, surprising, it wouldn't seem like that from the pics. She says it smells great too. She has 3 of them strategically placed in her yard to catch their aroma. Looking at your pic, you should put a pergola over your patio on the left & grow XRM up that as well as some of your new clems coming. It would give you shade from the afternoon sun & a good excuse to buy more! If you eat out there, I would ? putting anything too aromatic or you might be tasting it.

That is so exciting getting a new porch! Make sure you incorporate trellis' on it! In the meantime, why don't you pot up a few of the clems & have them temporarily grow up the lilac...& the porch railing too. That way you can get the effect you want today & plant them after your transistion.

The nurseries I've been to that sell clematis for $12 are in Waukesha, Mukwonago, Racine, Kenosha etc. Not actually in Milw. At this point, I think I know what your taste in clems are & if I see anything you would like at any of them in the future, I'll let you know. A lot of them have very few left.

That Menards is where I bought my Romantika. The Menards over on 27th St. in Oak Creek is where I got Polish Spirit & a bunch of 2's you wouldn't like. I didn't see Bonanza there. Like an idiot, I bought my Bonanza at Steins & spent way too much for it. Compulsive shopping is terrible.

Sorry, I have no idea who that would have been on 70th/Center. It literally could have been anyone of greenhouse growers in this area setting up a 2nd location to sell their goods. That is quite common.

I just heard word my mom is going to babysit for my nieces this afternoon which is giving me all afternoon to run out to Monches. I'll let you know what happens.

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Guys, just remember that Donahue's babies are small: they come in 2.5" pots. Nice roots though. They were always grew nicely for me.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Wow, I can get 1 gallons for $9.99 here.

As far as I can tell, mildew is more of a cosmetic problem.

• lalalandwi
    15 years ago

Kimcoco, they had 4 left! I picked the best 2 for us! Being in nursery biz once before, I know some of the help doesn't always have the keenest eye & that is why I went back. I always knew where everything was in those 22 acres & they always called me on the radio to ask where everything was, I sure do miss working there. As they were helping me I kept commenting on all their conifer plantings & the saleslady finally asked me how I know all this, she took me around & had me identify all her conifers for her. They are also a daylily farm & I wanted to get a few of those while I was there. I can't believe I only walked away with 5...I am very proud of myself!

As far as the Walenburg goes, I just want you to have it...no trade. Only with the promise of 1st: remaining to be an avid poster here & 2nd: once I learn how to propagate clematis, give me a cutting of your Mary Rose. Deal? Let me know how I can get it to you.

Alina, I can't tell what zone you are in so this might make a difference in how you answer. What do you do with your fall shipments? I believe that is way too small to put in the ground right away at that time of the year. Do you think it would be better for us z5ers to wait til spring to order? I have bought those small pots from walmart & such before & threw them right in the ground & surprisingly all have made it. That was much earlier in the season. I haven't planted anything that small in the fall before (clematis wise). If I have to pot them up & bury the pots for winter, I might as well wait til spring. I'm not much for that kind of tinkering around & that is why the walmart 1's just got tossed in. I have read on this forum that is what 1 is to do, but I haven't had 1 die on me yet.

Buyorsell, are you rubbing it in that you live in nursery heaven? It has always been a big dream of mine to visit your neck of the woods. Rhodies grow huge, enough Japanese Maples to make 1 dizzy, & don't even let me get started on the conifers you can grow out that way! Yes, call me Oregon envious! In this area, the only place we can find clematis that cheap is to buy from Walmart, Home Depot, Menards, Lowe's, etc. Buying that way you are never sure you are getting what they label it to be. MOST of the nurseries around here are @$20 for 1g. I vote for seeing pics of your yard! It has got to be amazing! I am 99.9% sure everyone else that frequents this forum would vote for you to do so as well. So, just short of begging, would you do that for all of us?

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Get out of here!!!! I can't believe you found some! Thank you!

I insist on trading, a promise is a promise. I'm not heartbroken over Mary Rose, and I'm very excited to get a Walenberg. So, when you do learn to propogate, maybe we can negotiate at that time for more trades?

If you go to my member page and choose "send an email" we can figure things out from there. Mary Rose is probably being shipped later this or next month, I believe (Chalk Hill).

I just found another local nursery today, small mom and pop shop, and as I was wandering through I saw a poster they had for Donahue's clematis. I asked about it, and found out they get a shipment each year early spring. They sold out by now of course, but she said they get them in 1 gal pots for $14.99, not bad. She wasn't familiar with the varieties they carried.

I just got some Asiatic daylilies this year, "Matrix" and I really like them.

I also stopped at Hawks, and they're $30 for a gal size clem. No wonder they still have so many in stock, who wants to pay those prices?

Buyorsell, I would love to see pics of your yard as well.

Lalaland, you'll have to show all your clems too once they're grown in.

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Lalalandwi.
    I am in zone 6/7, Maryland. I will plant Clematis I'll receive from Chalk Hill in the garden - they are large enough. It is usually recommended on this forum (and for a reason) to plant smaller Clematis in 1 Gal pots first. If you are willing to give Donahue's babies some TLC this fall/winter, you can buy them now. That would give you an extra season for growing roots. You can keep pots in an unheated garage or basement with the soil barely moist. That would protect them from freeze/thaw cycles. Perennials including Clematis grow roots at low temperatures. Since they will not have top growth, they will not need light.

Kim,
    Asiatics are Lilies (genus Lilium), not Daylilies (genus Hemerocallis) :o) 'Matrix' are very nice. Such a bold color. They are very short, plant them in front of other plants.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I do live in Nursery Heaven but it isn't gardening heaven since it is always raining. Unless one likes to get wet and muddy while gardening.....

It is a great place to visit though and conifers do grow like weeds. I keep having to pull out dwarf conifers that don't read their tags on ultimate size...

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alina, don't mind my ignorance with the lilies (LOL), I'm fairly new to the gardening scene. :)

Thanks for the info.

• lalalandwi
    15 years ago

LMAO!!!!!! Ah, I could only be so lucky. Do you ever peruse the conifer forum here? Those guys are great! They're all addicts over there too! Pineresin posts from the UK & that man can identify ANYTHING. He hangs out on the tree forum as well. He's amazing. Kenadrian in MI gives the best advice any plant addict could take: "if that plant costs you $100 today & that plant lives for 10 yrs, that amounts to $10/yr. If you have to cut down in 10 yrs, is it worth it?" That guy cracks me up. He is also the 1st to jump in & tell you the sizes you read on the tag are for 10 yr dimensions & then gives you the equation on how to figure out how big it'll be in the future. I never knew that until I started hanging out over there. Check it out. So, do we get to see pics of your yard? Don't forget to shoot low & get all those integrifolias too!

Kimcoco, sorry, I just got back in town. I'll email you tomorrow. Walenburg looks like it's setting some buds! I have to get her to you ASAP. The quicker in the ground the quicker the establishment!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County