SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macky77

Clematis newbie needs to root cutting

macky77
15 years ago

My paternal grandfather passed away a few days ago. Both he and my grandmother were avid gardeners. My father will be heading to the family gathering this weekend; I'm unable to go. I've asked my dad to bring back cuttings from the beautiful clematis under their kitchen window. This vine must be 30 to 40 years old and it's just gorgeous. Dad will try to find out if anyone knows the variety this weekend. All I remember for now is that it has a bluish purple flower and grows on the east side of their house in partial shade.

1. How long should the cutting be (how many leaves above the soil and how much stem should be buried)?

2. What medium should I use?

3. I have rooting hormone. Should I use it with clematis?

4. What will it's light needs be (I have grow lights in our basement if needed).

5. The original plant is in Calgary (zone 3a) and I am in rural Saskatchewan (zone 2a). If the cutting successfully roots, when would it likely be able to be transplanted outside?

I've rooted cuttings before - ficus, rubber tree, christmas cactus and norfolk pine - but I'm nervous about this for some reason. There's a sentimental attachment here and I need to get it right. We might head to Calgary in September, but that's not certain yet. I could possibly get cuttings then, too. Grandma (passed years ago) and Grandpa's property will be up for sale after Grandpa's veggie garden is harvested this fall and it's expected it will be torn down for new development, so I only get this chance. TIA for any advice!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County