SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaparralgirl

Stupid fake flower glued onto cactus

chaparralgirl
11 years ago

So. I got myself another Cereus peruvianus monstrose cv. recently because the one I have isn't looking so happy (it's outside). This one I picked out specifically because it had one of those ridiculous straw flowers glued onto it. I was going to take a picture and post it here, because really?? A fake flower on a C. pervianus?? But that was during my "No, I have to refrain from going to the forum so I can focus on getting my schoolwork done" thing. I've already taken the flower off, because I just couldn't stand it any longer.

I did, however, write to the supplier to ask them why, in God's green earth, do they keep doing that? I got a response. I present to you the e-mail thread:

Dear [supplier],

I LOVE your cacti and succulents! I get them at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, various mom-&pop places, just about everywhere. (I have a bit of a fetish for cacti and succulents.) I have to ask, though - why, oh why, do you glue those ridiculous straw flowers onto some of your cacti? I've seen them on cacti that don't even produce those types of flowers. More than that, regardless of the genus or species, gluing anything onto a plant is going to damage it - if not in the gluing process, then when the consumer recognizes that it's fake and tries to pull it off. Have you found that the fake flowers derive better sales? This year, I've been actively involved in an online forum for cacti and succulent lovers from around the world; we all agree, the fake flowers look ridiculous, and damage the plants. Would you possibly consider stopping this practice?

(Beyond this, as I said initially, I LOVE your cacti and succulents.)

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

You hit the nail on the head! Our "big box" store customers require us to do it because the ones with the fake flowers sell 3 to 1 over the others. We don't like doing it either but the customer gets what the customer wants. I think that primarily the people who buy those are not "plant people" and don't know a potato from a petunia, but just want something cutsie and decorative. You're right, they look ridiculous compared to what they should be. I'm glad that we are also able to send into the stores "unflowered ones" also so they are available to real plant aficionados like yourself.

[Supplier]

Just figured I'd share with everyone, since it seems to be a recurring topic of discussion. It's really too bad. But I've helped to show a few folks "the light," so to speak. When I point out that the flower is fake, and glued on, they invariably respond with surprise and disgust. So, little by little, consumers are becoming aware. :)

*CG*

Comments (21)