SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jrmaine

First Time Cactus Owner! Moon Cactus Rotting? SOS!

jrmaine
10 years ago

Hello all!

My dad bought me a moon cactus before I moved today and I would hate to lose it!!

The cactus itself is leaning, and the bottom is dry, and has peeled away. It is hollow under except for the stem. There is also one white spot on the top of the cactus. I assume it is rotting.. but just want to make sure before I cut off the top and re plant it. PLease help :)

Comments (20)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

And you did not even mention the absolutely hideous soil that it is planted in. It looks like it is solid water retentive peat moss. This plant was designed to die.

• Related Discussions

1st time owner. star cactus

Q

Comments (4)
    It's difficult to determine without a photo. Are you able to take a pic & post it? Without a photo, l can only guess: what cactus (or succulent) you have & what you're describing. Perhaps it is what is sometimes called a Moon Cactus, which is a brightly colored ball-shaped cactus (Gymnocalycium mihanovichii) grafted onto some (green) root stock, like Hylocereus undatus. Please look at the pic in the link below & tell us if this is what you have. Then, maybe we can go from there to give you some help. Here is a link that might be useful:
    ...See More

moon cactus and hylocereus

Q

Comments (3)
    Cut it now, can't wait until Spring, do as shrubs n bulbs advises, let it dry, add coarse sand or gravel to the damp cactus mix, bring it into the house and wait until you see new growth, then water with warm water. After it has produced a few more leaves then transplant it into regular cactus mix, you must do everything you can so it won't rot out before it gets those first few new leaves. Don't water it again until spring. Remember the hylocerus is a jungle tree dwelling plant (and clifs along the coast usually from Brazil with 3-4 angled stems. It needs a warm winter home. I hope I gave you enough information help you. Norma
    ...See More

Cut Top Off of Moon Cactus

Q

Comments (3)
    Not a lot of base to tamper with it's usually better to sharp cut ( via slice) in upward downward directions. It's normal for them to do that, in time it'll callus over and may thicken out the under side. It may provide more secondary branches ( new growth). Ascetically speaking I think the new growth would be the better candidate as an entire plant . Remove and re root the new growth later ?
    ...See More

my moon cactus might be rotting?

Q

Comments (3)
    Touch the lighter green area to see if it is softer than the rest of the plant. If it is soft, it could be rot. If not soft, nothing to worry about. Edited to note you said that area was firm, so maybe it is just lighter from being below the soil line. You have a grafted cactus, in other words, there are two different types of cacti here, the top being Gymnocalycium mihanovichii friedrichii, and the rootstock being Hylocereus. These are generally not long lived, but some have managed to keep them going for a few years. A common first cactus purchase. Christopher
    ...See More
  • Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Oh, gosh, how did I miss that. Yes, the soil should have been my lead comment. Absolutely hideous is a mild term for the soil, is there anything worse, because there is nothing worse than this muck it has, and is indeed the likely cause of the rot. Once wet, it all but excludes any chance any air can get to the roots. Once dry, it turns brick-like and repels water. The final coup-de-grace is the plastic pot.

So the recipe goes like this: graft 2 very different species together. Plant into the most unsuitable medium in a plastic pot. Add eye appeal for the uninitiated. Sell said plant. Wait a few months for the plant to die. The customer will think they did something wrong and attempt another chance to grow one by buying another plant. Cycle is self repeating.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Here is what one looks like as a blooming normal cactus grown on its own roots And blooming. I did see a photo of a grafted one with blooms the other day. First one ever have that I have seen that gave evidence that a grafted one could grow till they bloom . Floored me. They must have done everything right and prayed for the bugger every night. So it is not impossible . maybe it was grafted on another type of stock like a cylindropuntia stem in the proper dirt.

Well, here is the normal one. You can see that it does make some clorophyl and some of the color is probably due to stress, which they like.

{{gwi:654248}}

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Others have been in your boat. Here is what a search pulls up . It might be worth a perusal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Moon Cactus enquiries

• DavidL.ca
    9 years ago

Wait, so the top part can be rooted and survive on its own?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    9 years ago

NO. The top can not make chlorophyl. It will die. It needs the base to live. To put it mildly,even with the bottom, it is a cactus destined to die , just a bit slow than with out the grafting stalk.

• Rashmi Kotian
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi. My cactus had bright colors (red and green). But now after 4months it's lost it's color. Its leaning and has dried from the bottom. Please tell me how I can save it :(

• Jennifer Hamilton
    7 years ago

Is there a similar plant that will survive longer? I'm on my second one
    and it's starting to do the wrinkly thing. I thought I had killed my
    last one because of a mess-up with the watering schedule, but I've
    really looked after this one. I like the looks of it, but if I'm going
    to have to keep replacing it, I'd rather find something that was
    actually made to survive...!

• lmontestella
    7 years ago

Rashmi,

Pls, read the entire thread, as it explains these plants are basically designed to die.

Also to you both, this conversation is over 2 yrs. old. Generally one gets a better response by posting a new thread. Not sure in this case, if worth trying.

But pls. DO READ THIS WHOLE THREAD, maybe it'll dissuade you folks from buying these again, seems a waste of time, money & effort -- on your part & this Forum's in trying to fix something destined to fail.

Direct quote from above, from Dzitmoidonc(6)

"So the recipe goes like this: graft 2 very different species together. Plant into the most unsuitable medium in a plastic pot. Add eye appeal for the uninitiated. Sell said plant. Wait a few months for the plant to die. The customer will think they did something wrong and attempt another chance to grow one by buying another plant. Cycle is self repeating."

I'm sorry folks, but that seems to be the general consensus here from folks who would know.

• Jennifer Hamilton
    7 years ago

I understand that they're destined to die. That's why I was asking what type would be a good replacement - I'm not familiar with cacti, but I would like to replace my moon cactus with something that looks interesting, but is naturally made to live.... Sorry, I should have done a new thread, I just wasn't sure if I could get the context right in a new one....

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    7 years ago

All plants will live given the proper care/circumstances. However, I'm not sure what you mean by 'naturally made to live'? Are you looking for a grafted plant if some kind that has been made/altered in some way.......please expand.

The definition of 'interesting' is a personal thing, what I find interesting, you may not. Very hard to suggest a suitable plant in this case, and none are similar to moon cacti in appearance if that is what you are seeking. Cacti can be picked up from most big box stores as they're called in the USA very cheaply (I assume you hail from the USA like most ppl here?) Pick one that appeals, replant it on a gritty fast draining mix and water minimally after at least a week, give plenty of sun and see what happens. Maybe ask for an ID here...even before you buy it, then you can get more specific advise. Location can alter any plants care and ability to live, but we have no idea where you are from :-)

Gill

• Jennifer Hamilton
    7 years ago

No, I guess I'm looking for a plant that isn't grafted - that is sold as similar as you would find it in the wild as possible. Maybe that doesn't really happen. I guess I need more something the same size as a moon cactus - about 3 or 4 inches high.Are there any other cacti that would have some color to them? I think there's flowering ones, but I don't know if there's any small ones....

That's a good idea to ID a plant I find interesting here to see how likely it is to survive - I guess I'm choosing cactus because I'm not having much luck with other plants - I had a violet that died as well... :(

I'm from Canada - we do have big box stores. It's for an indoor application, so I'm guessing climate shouldn't be too big of a deal?

• Sue
    7 years ago

There are typically lots of cactus for sale in the big box stores. Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, sometimes in grocery store florist sections, etc. Maybe not so much this time of year, but closer to spring you should start seeing lots. They often are sold with horrible dyed strawflowers hot-glued on top, but you can usually peel the flower and glue off, then you're left with a "natural" cactus.

Indoors, they need as much light as you can give them, and go easy on the water.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    7 years ago

Jenifer

Grafted cacti are not 'natural', they are manipulated by ppl. Most of the succulents (cacti are succulents) are sold the way they grow in wild. It is care from us they receive that will make them live and grow healthy. Many will live for more years than humans...

Most succulents die from over-watering. They will all need good drainage (potting mix and the container), and lots of good light and/or sunshine. They will grow well indoors or outdoors (in appropriate temps) as long as their basic needs are supplied.

You should consider what conditions you have, and if you are willing or able to make changes if necessary. Where do you want to keep the plants? (window sills? coffee table? book shelves?) In many homes, light levels are not enough for good growth of succulents. With supplemental lighting that can be helped.

There are some succulents (and especially cacti) that grow very slowly, so stay quite small. Others will grow much faster and bigger. Many will be colorful, but in order to keep the color they need good light.

Where in Canada are you? (best to add general location and/or growing zone next to your name...)

• LH CO/FL
    7 years ago

If you like the look of a moon cactus, seek out a non-grafted gymnocalycium. I've got a little collection and they're most colorful. I have two dark purple ones, one that's the redder kind, and a few that are green with tinges of purple. One of my dark purple ones has similarly dark offsets. The other one has bright pink offsets that would probably make future neon pink moon cactus, if I wanted to "graft a mouse head onto an elephant body." :)

Lots of images here

• woodnative
    7 years ago

If you have good conditions for cacti (bright sunny windowsill for example) I second the vote for Gymnocalycium, as there are many species that stay small and flower prolifically in Spring and/or Summer. Great little plants!! Also look at some of the Echinopsis types...these get a little larger but many stay compact and some of them have incredibly HUGE and beautiful flowers. Some Rebutias stay small and round. "Peanut Cacti" (I think these are Chaemalobivia) stay smallish, branch easily and flower readily. There is a peanut hybrid(?) called 'Rose Quartz' that shows up frequently in the big box stores. Most of these cacti do well in appropriate soil in a sunny area. They like to be kept a bit cooler and dryer in winter to promote flowering and watered a little more often in Spring/summer when it is warm and they are actively growing. However, if you go on vacation and miss a watering or two they will be fine also. Don't limit yourself to what you can find locally as you can check some of the specialty cactus mail order places (or even ebay) to get some of the ones you want after you do your research. Enjoy!

• Gabrielle
    6 years ago

Hi!

So I'm a newbie to the cacti parenting world and was hoping someone may be able to tell me if I'm doing this right?

I picked these cuties up from Home depot a couple months ago. The yellow one had this great flower bud looking like it might bloom soon but now it looks like I killed it. When I first got them they didn't have the little...bulbs? on the side of them or on top (like my red one.) I thought this was a sign I was doing well with them but now I'm worried I might be doing the same to the cacti that I did to the flower

and I of course don't want that!

So what I've been doing is checking the soil every week to feel if it feels like it's completely dry. Usually by the end of the week it feels that way. so I take them out of the decorative pots (cause they don't have drainage holes) and water them thoroughly with a slow but steady sink stream. Once the soil seems to have sufficient water, I allow the extra water to drain into the sink before putting them back into their decorative pots and putting them back on the windowsill for direct sunlight. I read that in winter you shouldn't water them as much (like once a month?) but we are still in fall her in NC.

Am I doing this right or just being an idiot? I'm kinda bummed I lost the little flower but if I can encourage them to grow more I want to try! But mostly I want to be a good cacti parent.

• Cookie Bookworm
    6 years ago

Did you not read the thread? You seem to be doing a good job though the spots on the red one aren't great.. Anyhow, the thread points out these plants are made to die. The yellow one looks great bit cacti that are grafted like this usually don't flower well. Just get the non grafted version of this plant.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Cookie

I respectfully disagree with your statement...: the thread points out these plants are made to die"...I don't see anyone saying that. These cacti are not grafted in order to die but to help them to survive longer than they would otherwise. Plants that do not have chlorophyll can't photosynthesize and eventually will die, so grafting them on different plant will help them to get 'food'.

Last post was posted 7mo ago, and it seems to me that you are responding to that one . I didn't see poster Gabrielle(7) post since and seems to be the only post by this person. She may, or may not be reading this forum any longer (unless using different name)...