SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammy_owens9081478

any Carolina rose growers out there?

Tammy Owens
18 years ago

I live in the piedmont and LOVE roses. I have about 20 to 30.

I have

Queen elizabeth-2

Sally Holmes -2

Don Juan

Golden celebration

Bonica

Betty prior

Peace

Voila

Iceberg -2

Chuckles-3

White american beauty

Honey Perfume

Frederic Mistral

nearly wild

Strawberry romance

Elle

uncle joe

New dawn -2

pink knockout

red knockout-2

brilliant pink iceberg

Tiffany

madame pierre oger

gertrude jekyll

gemini

cherry parfait

baby blanket

verdon

red cascade 4

belinda's dream 3

charles aznavour

habitat for humanity

3 unknown.

I am now planning for the up coming spring! Looking into some david austins, hope they do well in NC

Roses are my passion but I also collect Clematis, daylillies and am woking on getting some Brugs.

Tammy

Comments (41)

• alicia7b
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Yes, there are rose growers here! I have a few roses that I've had for several years: a very large Mermaid, two Rosa palustris, a Ballerina, and two Sombreuil (Colonial White). My MIL used to have two rugosas that we gave her and that I was going to propagate from, Belle Pointevine and Frau Dagmar Hastrup, but she sprayed them even though I told her not to, and it was all downhill from there. My other roses have been in the ground 1-3 years and include:
    Knockout
    Madame Joseph Schwartz
    Mrs. BR Cant
    Duchesse de Brabant
    Rosette Delizzy
    Ducher
    Rosa rugosa alba (6, raised from seed)
    Purple Pavement
    Climbing Old Blush
    Madame Ernest Calvat (was supposed to be Isaac Pereire, and MEC is a guess)
    Seedling of MEC
    Seedling of Heritage
    Seedling of Therese Bugnet
    Rosa carolina (3)
    Double Delight
    Louise Phillippe
    Unknown white-flowered climber raised from cutting; original plant behind Glen Lennox shopping center in Chapel Hill

I've rooted cuttings from the teas and chinas and will have to see how they do over the winter.

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

Left out 2 Renae.

• Related Discussions

Rose season begins in my North Carolina garden

Q

Comments (54)
    Thank you, Sheila. We used to be able to post pictures to the ARF right from our Flickr accounts. But, of course, if you delete your photo storage account, any communication that might still exist between the two sites is lost! I still visit the "Antique Rose Forum" from time to time, esp. during the cold winter months when I need a pick me up. I don't post much any more. I do love my gardens and my roses and have had many triumphs as well as disasters over the past five years since I did these postings in 2013. Disaster 1: I now have numerous roses that are 15 feet tall/long. 20 feet tall. And even taller and even longer. And I now realize that, although the idea of giant roses seemed romantic when they were 3 feet tall, they have created a variety of problems in my garden and I am in the process of getting rid of all my monsters except a couple of my most favorite. Disaster 2: I have hundreds of roses. From almost every class. And I have lost track of what I have and what I have lost. Disaster 3: Invasive plants: Japanese anemones. Mexican primrose. Salvia. 4 o'clocks. Sweet violet. Blue globe flower. Black-eyed Susan. And even morning glory. I find poison ivy/oak sprouting in my pots, I invite you to imagine my garden plots. Disaster 4: Thrips. And, though, I love every single one of my roses, even those I am culling, I have found after growing so many, that above all, I love my David Austin roses most. Here are some photos from this year's garden. They may not be great since they were taken with my phone. Best of luck to you in your garden. May it bring you joy and very few disasters.
    ...See More

Interesting info. for organic rose growers

Q

Comments (15)
    When I checked the Roses Forum under "protect while spraying" I found these info: "From Henry Kuska, grower of over 1,000 roses from Ohio: Title: Combined exposure to endocrine disrupting pesticides impairs parturition, causes pup mortality and affects sexual differentiation in rats. Another one from Henry: "Retinal degeneration was two times more common in applicators who had used fungicides. Results were similar in North Carolina and Iowa." More from Henry: "It appears that the "hot U.S. fungicide spray of the month" is Bayer Advanced Disease Control for Roses - This is a tebuconazole based fungicide. It is being phased out in Europe, banned in the state of New York, and not available for garden use in Canada. The concern is especially directed towards fetuses and infants as they are particular susceptible to endocrine disrupting substances." I posted a thread entitled "Pics of fungal growth, corn meal, and Austin roses" in the Rose Forum detailing how I dusted my corn meal. Refined corn meal from Walmart did not work, throwing at the base of the bush did not work. Someone posted a good question "if corn meal is a good fungicide, would it harm the beneficial Mycorrhizal fungi?" For that reason I kept the corn meal on the leaves, rather than in the ground. For fungi control in the ground, I posted a thread "Suppression of pathogens and pests by soil bacteria" in the rose forum. It detailed how black spot fungi is suppressed by normal soil bacteria plus flora in horse manure. In contrast, mulching with tree bark in a wet climate encourages black spots, with 25 different varieties of fungi in decayed wood, particularly artillery fungus, or shotgun fungus. Since WHOLE-GRAIN corn meal works best with the fat in the germ layer, I used a flour sifter to dust the lower 1/3 of the bush. I dusted August 1, September 1, September 17 (after 20+ hours of rain), and again in September in the midst of 5 days of rain. Only 4 dusting to get zero black spots on 10 Austins. Our first frost is soon to come in October, they keep all their leaves. The feed store doesn't sell corn meal, only cracked corn $5 for a giant bag (enough for a decade!). I used Nutrimill flour grinder to grind to dust. You can buy Arrowhead Mills or Bob's Mill whole-grain corn meal at the grocery store for $2 to $3 per bag. Health food stores have it.
    ...See More

Any Pa Rose Growers Here? which OGRs and Austins are your Favs?

Q

Comments (4)
    What part of PA, please? If in the SE part of the state, I recommend a trip over to the Moorestown Mall (Moorestown, NJ) this Saturday for the West Jersey Rose Society's rose show (the Philadelphia show was yesterday). Many of the SE PA/NJ rose growers will be there, you'll get to see a lot of the once-blooming OGRs (in addition to a lot of the modern shrubs) and quite a few are now growing without synthetic chemicals. I can recommend Marchesa Boccella, Rose de Recht, Cardinal de Richelieu and Lyda Rose. Polyanthas also do very well.
    ...See More

Info From SE growers- for DA Alnwick and Molineux Roses

Q

Comments (10)
    I'm not from Florida, so ignore my info. if it doesn't seem pertinent. I also don't grow Alnwick--so-- I'm in zone 6 (KS). Here, Molineux is maybe just a bit taller than Alnwick, but it is a somewhat upright, somewhat narrower bush--but I can't tell you if it is narrower or not than Alnwick. My Molineux are about 3 ft tall, but I have heard of Molineux from some other regions (like California) that supposedly get much taller and wider. Molineux is quite floriferous and does a pretty good job handling heat--though its blooms aren't real long-lasting in the hottest weather. I've been under the impression that Alnwick doesn't do that well in the really strong heat--so you might check on that. I think both roses have blooms about the same size--not quite 3 inches, I'd guess. Don't know how susceptible Alnwick is to blackspot, but Molineux will have a few problems periodically with it, but it is not a BS magnet. Molineux changes its color a lot, depending on how much apricot highlights it puts on. I really like my Molineux. But Alnwick is a lovely rose also, from what I hear. Let's face it-- you probably need both, don't you think? : ) Kate
    ...See More
  • alicia7b
    18 years ago

Of the antiques teas, chinas and noisettes thrive in the heat and humidity here. Bourbons, gallicas, mosses and albas don't do as well, although there are exceptions. Liz Druitt wrote a really nice book on growing roses organically in the South and she experimented with every class.

Besides the antiques, the species roses that I have (R. palustris and carolina) have been clean. Polyanthas are supposed to do well in the Southeast. Renae is a climbing polyantha and the foliage was clean and it rebloomed. I've only had it since last summer but I would have thought the heat and humidity we had the latter part of the summer would have been a good test. The old hybrid teas Radiance, Red Radiance, Careless Love and Mrs. Charles Bell are supposed to be great. I'm getting Radiance and the tea Devoniensis this spring. I've heard only good things about those two, I can't wait to try them out.

When did you take your cuttings?

• AngelTrumpeteer
    18 years ago

I'm a newbie rose grower...I have about 50 or so, mostly small own root.

Zephrine
    Jardins de Bagatelle
    Geoff Hamilton
    Cherry Parfait
    Abraham Darby
    Garden Party
    Fredrick Mistral
    Duchesse de Brabant
    Souvenir de la Malmaison
    Madame Josef Schwartz
    Clotilde Soupert
    I'd have to get my list out to name them all...

I really love 'em...
    I have had NO luck rooting and really wish I could ....

Kimmy

• Tammy Owens
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Alicia, the cutting that I tried to root, I bought off of ebay (my first attempt). I did took some from my own roses probably about June I think. I did the plastic bottle method. They were fine for quite a while,even got some little leaf nubs but then they turned black and moldy. I might try it again this year but I am not sure.

My Renae I purchased from Ashdown roses last April. I don't think she likes it where she is and I may move it.But I am hoping to see a lot more blooms than I did last year.

Tammy

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

I took cuttings of barely firm softwood from May-August in the morning or early evening, took the outer skin off on one side, dipped in liquid rooting hormone, and stuck in potting mix. I used a pencil to create a hole in the soil first so that the hormone wouldn't be wiped off in the process of sticking the cutting. I also only left a few leaves at the top. You probably know about the above already. Here's the difference: I put the cuttings in shade, no plastic over them or anything. With few leaves left and the humidity of our climate, too much evaporation isn't a problem. The only rose I had trouble rooting at first was R. palustris, but when I took longer cuttings (8-9"), the cuttings rooted just fine. If the plant has not put out new growth before winter the best thing to do is to sink the pot into the earth to overwinter, to avoid disturbing the roots.

I won't be able to tell just how good of a performer Renae is until next year; we planted ours in July or some such ridiculous time, and it handled the transplant fine. It even bloomed at regular intervals, small flushes. I will be interested to see how much it blooms next spring, IF I can keep the deer off of it. I was impressed by the fragrance.

• redhead
    18 years ago

I went to the seminar at Ashdown last spring when we all got to experiment rooting cuttings using zip lock bags. You put some damp potting soil in the bottom of a gallon size zip-lock bag. Dip the cuttings in rooting hormone and put in the soil. Spritz a little moisture to keep the humidity high in the bag and set them in a indirect light place - I put on my carport. You can open or close the bag if they are too moist or mist a little more water if too dry. When you see some roots in the bottom of the bag, you can repot. I ended up with 50% rooting. A drastic improvement over the total failure I had experienced in the past.

We are very lucky to have 2 great own-root nurseries nearby -- Ashdown Roses in Landrum, SC and Roses Unlimited in Laurens, SC. Both have study days that are well worth attending.

As for English-style roses...I like them very much, but some require more TLC than my schedule currently allows. Many of the Old Garden Roses do very well in the Carolinas. And I love daylilies mixed in with the roses - you may want to add some iris also.

Good luck with your roses this year. I'm planning on reworking my oldest bed this year and I hope I can get some of the work done before spring if the moderate temperatures remain.

• cecily
    18 years ago

I have a few roses, mostly teas and chinas. I'm currently enjoying the red autumn foliage on Pink Pet. My best luck with rose cuttings has been to stick hardwood cuttings directly into the rosebed in fall, many are rooted by spring.

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

My roses are Carefree Sunshine, Knockout (regular and blush, treeform and bush), The Prince, Gene Boerner, Bonica, Marie Pavi, Fourth of July climbing, New Dawn climbing, Joseph's Coat, Don Juan, Angel Face, Nearly Wild (treeform and bush), The Fairy, Zephirine Drouhn, Caldwell Pink, Mrs. B.R. Cant, Sunsprite, Hansa, Therese Bugnet, and La Marne (I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two).

Along with hollyhocks and foxglove, roses are my favorites. I spray regularly, but it doesn't seem like such a chore.

Do any of you wear a heavyduty bio-warfare mask when spraying? Every time I spray, I worry about inhaling those toxins.

• valimora
    18 years ago

Hi, Tammy. Yeah, I'm a rose hag. I'm fairly new to roses so my oldest ones are only 3 years old. I've got a bunch. Let's see, there's Deuil du Dr. Reynaud, Tuscany Superb, Mignonette, Sombreuil, Francis Debreuil, Lagerfeld, Crepuscule, Reine des Violettes,Lady Hillingdon, Our Lady of Guadelupe, Papa Meilland, Sanguinea, Altissimo, Magnifica, Compassion, Georgetown Noisette, Devoniensis, Hot Cocoa, Jean Giono, Henry Nevard, Rose de Rescht, Baron Giraud de L'Ain, Salet, Henri Martin, Pat Austin, The Prince, L.D. Braithwaite, Sophy's Rose, Ludlow Castle, Frederic Mistral, Mirandy, Doorenbos Selection, Reine Victoria, Stanwell Perpetual, Mrs. Jennie Deverman, Outta the Blue, and alot more. Probably about 120 in all. I just don't have the courage to count them all. I must be out of my mind! I have a 100 percent failure rate trying to root cuttings except for Cecily's method. If I stick them in the ground in the fall maybe one or two may root. Anything that goes in a baggie or under a bottle is assured of a quick and painless death. poor things. I like iris, daylilies, salvia and angel's trumpet mixed in with the divas. I gotta say that every one of the roses will get blackspot if I don't spray. Haha, some get it even with spraying. Boy, that's one tough little disease. I bought one of those sprayers on wheels that pumps up just from wheeling it around and it made the job alot easier. It's actually kind of fun. Anyway, yeah, rose hag big time.
    Chris

• Annie
    18 years ago

How about a Carolina Rose?
    {{gwi:591528}}
    This is my Carolina Rose (Rosa carolina), also called Carolina Cherokee Rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: more of Annie's roses

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

Annie your pictures are beautiful. I love the old-fashioned fragrant pink one and the Carolina rose best. How large are the flowers on the one that was supposed to be Fire n'Ice? Do you think it could be Chicago Peace?

• carla17
    18 years ago

Tammy, I will be glad to try and root some roses for you this spring. I have babies in a small greenhouse right now but am not trying any winter cuttings this year. Take a look at my homepage if you'd like.
    E-mail me also with where you live. We can get you fixed up with some roses for sure.

Carla

• Annie
    18 years ago

Alicia,

The Rose that looks like a Peace rose is a grandeflora rose. I keep it cut to about 5-6 ft. It has lustrous deep green leaves & large thorns and is semi-deciduous here in Okie. In mild winters, it does not lose many of its leaves and it has bloomed on Christmas several times. The extra-large rosebuds open to 5-inch blooms that just glow in the sunlight like fire. The deep yellow base of the buds change to a fire red feathered into the yellow and then out to solid red edges. The yellow fades to buttery yellow and then to fades to yellowy cream. The deep red softens with age. It blooms well and has long thornless stems so is perfect for bouquets and bud vases.

I just posted more rose photos in my PhotoBucket.

The Carolina Cherokee Rose has a lemony rose fragrance. Very lovely. It and the Heirloom rose and the Damask Rose perfume my entire one-acre yard in May through June.

The Damask rose is a China rose and was the rose once used to make Rose Perfume. It was highly sought after and worth a king's ransom. I make rose water with their petals & Vodka to flavour cakes and cookies sometimes. In the Oriental countries, including India, Rose Water is the flavoring used instead of vanilla. Rose-flavored Sugar cookies and Pound cakes are divine, esp. with Lavender sugar sprinkled on the top and a tall glass of freshly-squeezed Lemonade. I like them with tea, like Earl Grey - hot. (lol)

My beautiful, beautiful perfect in everyway Tiffany roses succombed to sneaky little fat voles, as did my Double Delight and the Scentimental. (grrrr). All three are among the most fragrant Hybrid Roses I've ever smelt of (lol). I encased them with a roofing tarpaper barrier when I planted them and hoped it would help, and so it did for about two years. They just began to really put out and bloom when the voles found a way in, and one by one, had them for lunch.

My digital images do not capture the flower colors correctly, so I won't post some that are really distorted. I can't afford a new camera, so tough luck. Just have to use your imagination or look them up on the internet to find their true colors.

Rooting Roses? For me, it seems to be just dumb luck. I have rooted them in all kinds of mediums and they rooted. Softwood - hardwood...the less I fuss over them, the better they seem to root. Some I have just layed down softwood cuttings and covered them with dirt and they rooted!

For hardwood cuttings, I take 12 inch cuttings, stick them in rooting hormone powder, bury them in clayish soil in the shade. Water once in awhile and the next year they take off and grow. I get 98% success.

I root a lot of my roses. Too poor to buy all the ones I would like to have and keep them healthy too. I like beauty, but I don't want prissy roses that have to be pampered and babied. Oklahoma is just too hard on everything, plants, animals, and people, and the old-time roses can take anything Okie dishes out. But I have a fair amount of other kinds too. If I see one growing in someone's yard, I stop and ask for cuttings. They nearly always ablidge me and sometimes they even dig me a rooted piece. Hey! I look for old abandoned homesteads too. The Fragrant Heirloom Garden rose came from an old abandaned farm near Stillwater.

The Carolina Cherokee Rose came from my Great-Grandparent's old homestead out on the prairie. It was brought to Oklahoma by the Carolina Cherokees in the 1830s, and the roses naturalized. Farmers have dug them out, blasted them out, and sprayed to kill them off and they have all but disappeared from the prairies now. Used to be, the prairies would be ablaze with wild roses of all kinds in the Spring, off times just in time for Decoration Day in May. No one bought flowers in the old days. You just picked wildflowers and layed wild ferns on the graves and placed the wildflowers on top of the ferns. The ferns are all but gone and the flowers have been killed off with herbicides.

(blah, blah, blah...)

Anyway, Great-Gramma loved roses and never turned her nose up to any variety. She also had a little bunch of wild roses and I got a start of it, too. Sweet, sweet nosegays of tiny white rose florets with yellow centers and the sweetest old-time rose smell. Kind of peppery. I love it. It is somewhat invasive, but I found a spot and let them grow all they want. In the Fall, they make beautiful teardrop shaped glossy red Rose hips. You have to pick them as soon as they turn red because the bird love them too. (lol)

I have one Rugosa Rose. It is called WildBerry Breeze or something like that. I forget. Have to look it up. It is getting BIG now and mean. It has really berry fragrant blooms, too. (You can make wine out of the rose petals of a rugosa rose if you have a bushel basket of petals to spare). With all the Rugosa's thorns, it is a really beautiful "mean ting", too. I set my tower birdbath next to it. (a piece of 6-8 inch PVC sewer pipe about 7 feet long, sunk into the ground about a foot, with an old red metal christmas tree stand bowl on top for the bird bath). They love bathing way up off the ground like that. I figured the Rugosa's thorns oughta help keep the cats away too.

There are a few other roses, whites and yellows, but I won't be a bore any longer and go on anymore about it. I go on too long as it is!

I just love flowers though, don't you????

I hope ya'll have a lovely, fragrant day!

~Annie

Here is a link that might be useful: More roses to see

• Annie
    18 years ago

Some of these I mentioned before, but the rest I didn't. Thought I would add their descriptions in case someone on here is as green at growing roses as I am.

Queen Elizabeth - CL (Delicate Pink. Large 4-5 inch flowers. Climbing variety). Delicate fragrance and equisite beauty. In hot dry climate like mine, she does better with some afternoon shade. Her Highness does not like dog peepee, either. Bad dog, bad!)

Angel Face rose- Floribunda (lavender with a rosey blush & outstanding fragrance. Small plant. Can be grown in pots.)

Iceberg - white Floribunda (does really well in partial shade and sheltered from hot, drying winds.)

New Dawn rose -CL - delicate pink (pink flowers look pinker & the plant grows better in partial shade. An outright MONSTER CLIMBER. I have a 12-inch trunk on my 8 year old N.D! It is pulling the poor trellis down!!! "Dawn, go away, I'm no good for you"...)

Red Knight rose - a grandiflora (deep, black-red velvet flowers)

Don Juan - (deep velvety red rose. Born on long stems, perfect for bud vases. Fragrant)

Belle Amour (France) - A very old Alba Rose. (Light coral Pink semi-double petals with yellow centers. Very Hardy. Very fragrant myrrh-like scent. - I listed as the pink Damask rose by mistake - oops!)

Blushing Lucy (England) - An Old Garden rose. (Double Raspberry pink blooms with creamy centers. Deep green leaves. Very Hardy. Rambler or Climber. Very strong heady fragrance. Supposed to be reblooming. Mine blooms from April through July. Wish I could bottle the fragrance. - I listed only as an Old-Heirloom Garden Rose)

Lady Banks rose (climber/rambler)- (tiny double roses born in dense clusters of yellow flowers. Tiny dark green leaves on thornless, arching branches. Hardiness to 32 degrees F. Is not tollerant of extremely cold temps, so I planted mine on the southside of my front porch and it has done very well there. Does not need babying. Disease resistant and no pesky insects. Birds love the tiny, almost unnoticeable rosehips in winter.)

Just Joey - (a coppery-buff-orange Hybrid Tea rose. Deep colored centers, pales to palest orange edges. Has large flowers that bounce in the breeze. just lovely. I planted it for one of my sons. Strong fragrance. One great flourish in May-June, and then doesn't do well the rest of the season, but worth having. Might do better in cooler, wetter climates.)

I would love (drool, drool) to get cuttings of someone's Constance Spry, if someone on here has it. [English shrub rose]. Only blooms once a year but, oh, what a "glorious once" it is!

I have a few others, but cannot recall their names.

When I quit smoking 5 years ago, I decided to start buying roses with the money I would have spent on cigs. I thought that was fair since it was my cig money. Right? Well, my rose money got curtailed within the fortnight. (Grrrrr.....Bummer) What a turkey!

Have a lovely bloomin' day! ~Annie

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

Nice to know that Angel Face likes to be containerized, Annie. Mine is brand new and I may dig her up come spring. That is one to-die-for lavender, but so susceptible to BS in our area.

My New Dawn will be entering it's fourth year, but just as formidable as yours...and the thorns, ouch. My husband is always repairing that arbor.

• alicia7b_garden
    18 years ago

I supposedly swore off any more roses but I ordered Devoniensis, Radiance, and Belinda's Dream 2-3 weeks ago. Back on the wagon! (off the wagon?) One of these days I'm also going to get Fortune's Double Yellow, another big thorny monster like Mermaid. I don't know if the thorns are as big as the ones on Mermaid but they're supposed to be a lot of them.

• Annie
    18 years ago

Oh, Pup. You have Joseph's Coat. That is just such a lovely rose if you like the color orange, and I do! I want to get one of those too.
    I have been looking through my Spring cataloges and boy am I getting the gardening bug!
    Most gardening doesn't usually start here until late March or April. We can sometimes have snow or late freezes in May, but those are rare, but we usually get a cold snap some time in April. But roses, they can go in the ground in February. I wait to plant them in the late February in the watery sign of Pisces, though. If it is very rainy, then I go ahead and plant them in the dry barren sign of Aquarius. I always ask for rose plants for my birthday and Valentine's Day. I would rather have lots of rose plants than a bouquet, any day! I'll have to remind the Fam again that it's rose bushes me wants this year, thank you very much.

Have a rosey day!
    ~ Annie

• carolezone7b
    18 years ago

Absolutely! I love roses.....have too many and want more!

My Roses (so far!):

Old Blush
    Rugosa Rubra
    Fru Dagmar Hastrup
    Cramoisi Superieur
    Camara
    Zack
    Sally Lowe
    Denae
    Crepuscule
    Blush Noisette
    Beauty of Rosemawr
    Charleston Graveyard
    Tamora
    Pat Austin
    Rock Hill Peach Tea
    Playboy
    Claire Matin
    Irene Watts (pink Gruss an Aachen)
    Homere
    Hettie
    Clementina Carbonieri
    Maggie
    Mme. Antoine Bebe
    Smith's Parish
    Natchitoches Noisette
    Archduke Charles
    Reines des Violettes
    Queen Elizabeth
    Molineaux
    Winchester Cathedral
    Mons. Tillier
    Lemarque
    South Carolina Noisette
    Mount Vernon Purple
    The Pilgrim
    Queen Nefertiti
    Mary Magdalene
    Peter Mayle
    Benjamin Britton
    Field of the Wood
    Serrapetalia
    Narrow Water
    Noella Nabonnand

with William Shakespeare 2000 and the Queen of Sweden on the way!

I just got my first arbor for Christmas....I'm going to let Field of the Wood grow up one side and I'm still trying to decided whether it wiil be Narrow Water or Noella Nabonnand up the other. Any opinions?

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

Carole,
    The idea for the arbor sounds beautiful. I'm not familiar with Noella Nabonnand but I know Narrow Water has a wonderful fragrance.

• roselover_sc
    18 years ago

Hey I'm here in upstate SC growing or trying to grow lots of good smelling big blooming roses. I don't have much experience growing any kind of flowers. This will be my third season. Last year was a rough year my enemies the J.Bs and Mr. Blackspot gave me more trouble than I could handle! I have a few encore azaleias, a few bulbs,two peonys,and about eighty roses and I have already placed orders for more roses for the spring! My new ones ordered are-(Please forgive me I am a poor speller)
    2X Don Juan
    Granada
    Julia Child
    Living Easy
    Trumpeter
    Abraham Darby
    Golden Zest
    Chrysler Imperial
    Falsaff
    Black Cherry
    Spellbound
    Jubilee Celebration
    Maria Shriver
    Firefighter

• aisgecko
    18 years ago

I wish I could grow more roses! Alas I have very little full-sun on my property and it's already crammed full. I have a few varieties that are supposed to handle shade and they are doing well, but I don't get the full bursting flushes that I would in sun. 'The Fairy' has bloomed remarkably well all last summer and is still putting out blooms even in the part-shade situation I have her in. What a trooper! I am always at war with myself. I love the woods but I want more sun! -Ais.

• hemlady
    18 years ago

I grow about 100 roses, mostly chinas, teas (NOT hybrid teas) noisettes, hybrid musks and a very few really old hybrid teas like The Doctor. I AM ordering Careless Love and Red Radiance for this spring. Modern roses, except for the Knockout roses are too blackspot prone for me, and I do NOT like to spray. Denise

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

In following up on some of these roses online, I came across a definition for rose "sport." I had always thought of it as a hybrid. Not so.

It's hard to believe that Green Rose would have a sport that is all pink and white. Interesting. I guess we can ALL be looking for them...rare though I'm sure they are!

claire in sanford

Here is a link that might be useful: What is a rose

• aisgecko
    18 years ago

Simply put a sport is a genetic mutation that appears as a distinct plant. Many plants do this I believe. Hostas come to mind. Lots of the most beautiful hostas are "sports" of another. They are not as stable and often revert. I believe the standard is that is must last 3 generations, though since they can't be propogated true from seed this must mean through 3 propogations. Not that I have researched it, that's just what one of the rose or hosta (can't remember who) people said. -Ais.

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

Very interesting. I wonder if anyone can cite a couple of noted "sports" ...one that now outshines the original plant.

Those of you who dislike tangential spiels, go no further. Human mutations are mostly negative, aren't they? What if they were not, as in the case of Green Rose and some of these hostas ais speaks of. Like the cloning novel Boys from Brazil, it might be the sportish Girls from the Garden...peace and love, no evil, money grubbing tendencies, just pure light. What a great plot for a sci-fi novel...I'm sure it must already have been done...now iVillage, don't you go sell the idea to Random House!!!

claire in sanford

• aisgecko
    18 years ago

Warning, digression...
    NOt all genetic mutations in humans are bad. Some are beneficial. But it is the bad ones you hear about.
    (biting my tongue to not say more)
    arhem... ok, onto plants
    some of my favorite hostas are sports...
    Striptease (don't have but on my "want" list.)
    Paradigm (I think it's my favorite)
    Pandora's Box (the popular mini)
    JuneÂ, ÂPaulÂs GloryÂ, ÂGuacamoleÂ, ÂGold StandardÂ
    so lots of them.
    As for roses, a lot of the climbers are "sports" of their non-climbing parents.
    'New Dawn' is an excellent example. She's a popular sport of 'Dr. Van Fleet'

• aisgecko
    18 years ago

Also there is 'Awakening', which is a sport of 'New Dawn'
    (does that make it a grandsport of 'Dr. Van Fleet'?)
    Can I have a tiara for coining a new term? -Ais.

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

Probably the most famous rose sport of all, Chicago Peace is a sport of Peace. Madame Joseph Schwartz is a sport of Duchesse de Brabant.

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

Wow, New Dawn and Chicago Peace ARE sports that have made names for themselves. Tiaras all around!

Isn't it amazing that a mutation (ND) would result in a repeat blooming rose. I wonder how these are discovered.

• rootdiggernc
    18 years ago

Since some of the roses are starting to bloom thought I'd bump this up. I'm learning a lot from following everyones conversations on this. My Zepherine is in full bloom and and Duchesse de Brabant is starting. Heirloom is also starting to bloom, but it has the dreaded black spot! I had a terrible time with JB's on it last year, so I'm thinking about moving it away to the back.

• seedbandito
    18 years ago

Wow... great thread! I'm the proud owner of 2 roses, Sunsprite floribunda & Double Delight hybrid tea. I've been wanting to try & take some cuttings... now I'll give it a try. The aphids have really done a number on mine this year, the double delight looks really sad. What kind of measures do ya'll use as far as sprays goes? I really hate using sevin dust, makes the roses look like crap and what's the point of growing them if they're peppered with white powder? Thanks for any advise.

Nancy

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

Sorry to be negative but Double Delight is famous for its lack of disease resistance. Also Japanese beetles seem to love it more than any other rose. I have heard of people having luck with Bayer (3 in 1?), but others will have to chime in on this since I never spray. I try to grow roses that don't need spraying for disease, like the teas (not hybrid teas), noisettes, chinas, and polyanthas. I have also had good luck with rugosas so far. Rugosas can't tolerate spray anyway. The native species Rosa carolina and palustris have been excellent performers for me, as well as the climber Mermaid. There are excellent on-line nurseries that supply roses like this: Antique Roses Emporium, Roses Unlimited, Chamblees, Ashdown, and the Uncommon Rose.

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

Ha, I have to add, I used to have Double Delight, but canker got it this winter. DH picked out the rose when we went to Witherspoon. The display garden at Witherspoon was in full bloom at the time and looked incredible.

• skydiva
    17 years ago

I have Blaze growing up one side of my back porch and Golden Showers climbing up the other. It is absolutely gorgeous! I also just planted a St. Joseph last weekend and can't wait to see it bloom!

Aphids are giving me a hard time, but not too much Black Spot so far. I bought a bottle of the Bayer All-In-One, but haven't used it yet. Has anyone had any success or bad luck with that?

Thanks! Shannon

• lindakimy
    17 years ago

Well, I've been a bit discouraged about growing roses since I moved back to the south. In CA I had magnificent ones, but if you think black spot is the pits, try the orange version they battle out there.

Now roses are starting to call my name again and on a recent visit to Charleston I spotted one I would LOVE to have. Anyone have any idea what it might be? The flowers (about 2 1/2 inches across) were palest pink - more creamy white with just a blush. And they opened out almost flat (old fashioned looking) with lots of petals in the middle. The canes were quite long on some of them we saw and were climbing/leaning over garden walls. The most amazing thing, though, was the fragrance! Fantastic!
    I would dearly love to have one of these to grow over a covered wooden swing I have in my garden. I can only imagine sitting there surrounded by that delicious scent!

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Two guesses: climbing Clotilde Soupert and Souvenir de la Malmaison.

Here is a link that may be useful: Souvenir de la Malmaison at helpmefind.com

• lindakimy
    17 years ago

Wow, Alicia...either of those looks very close! But the Souvenir description mentions blooms 5"!! The ones I saw were nowhere near that big - I'd say 2.5" at best. 5" roses! My goodness! Wouldn't that be a show!

Both descriptions mention that the roses have a tendency to ball in humid weather. Is that typical of all these old fashioned, cabbagy type roses? That's not something I had to contend with in CA, for sure!

Thanks for your help and expertise, Alicia.

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Some roses do have more of a tendency to ball than others; I think the more petals (and Clotilde Soupert is packed), the higher the likelihood that the flower will ball.

Have you posted on the Antique Roses forum also? There are SC gardeners (and others) on there who can help.

• inthegarden_k
    17 years ago

here is a nice thread on rose propagation.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus