Serve with Hot GLG.

RECIPE

1 cup (2 dl) water

1/2 cup (1 dl) syrup (molasses)

2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon

1 tablespoon of ground cloves

1 tablespoon of ground ginger

1 teaspoon of ground cardamom

1 teaspoon black pepper (for authentic taste -opt)

1 tablespoon of bicarbonate (baking soda)

10,5 oz (300 gr) butter

2,5 cups (5 dl) sugar

7,5 cups or about 1 lb. (1.5 liters) flour

HOW TO DO IT:

Mix butter, sugar and syrup. Add spices and bicarbonate (baking soda), then water and finally part of the flour.

Mix in the rest of the flour.

Let the dough sit over night, wrapped in foil in the fridge.

Roll the dough as thin as possible using flour.

Cut out figures - preferable Christmas figures, hearts, stars etc.

Bake in oven for about 5 minutes at 200-225 degrees C

(400-425 degrees F).

Watch it! They burn fast once they start.

You can get about 300 cookies, depending on how

big you make them. It´s nice to make some quite big hearts,

decorated with frosting and maybe hang them up in the window.

[recipe from: Christmas in Sweden ]

-----------------------------------------------------------

Lussibread

- Saffron Rolls for Sankta Lucia Day

This recipe is out of an old Swedish book. The Swedish Text has been 'Roughly' translated for you.

Enjoy the dialect.

-Sorry! But it didn't offer baking times for any of the recipes! The recipes were for use with an old-time kitchen wood stove when this book was written, and the baking times was determined by touch or sight....and years of experience!!!

About 7 cups of flour 2 tablespoons ground almonds

2 cups milk 6 pounded bitter almonds

3 yeast cakes

2/3 cups seeded raisins or 1 cup chopped candied peel (orange)

1 teaspoon * saffron

2/3 cup butter

3/4 cup sugar

1 egg

* Note: Saffron is used only to give the bread a pretty yellow color. You can substitute dried CALENDULA FLOWERS that you GROW in your own GARDEN for the Saffron or just use yellow food coloring)

HOW TO DO IT:

Put raisins and Almonds to soak in a bowel of warm water. Set aside.

In a LARGE bowl, work part of the flour, tepid milk and yeast into a dough. Leave to rise twice it's size.

Dry saffron (or Calendula flower petals) in a very cool oven; pound finely with a little sugar, stir with a little milk and add to the dough. Cream sugar and butter and beat the egg. Work into the dough, together with the almonds and raisins previously soaked in warm water. Add more flour, if necessary, and, when well worked in, leave again to rise. Remove to floured breadboard, knead well, and divide. Roll out, shape into (3) strands, and twist into a plait (braid), which might be shaped into a wreath. Leave on greased tin to rise. Brush with lightly beaten egg and sprinkle with fine chopped almonds and sugar mixed.

Bake in fairly hot oven (400) until done.

Serve with "Fruit Soup" and lots of Hot Coffee.

In Sweden, the Holiday Drink is GLÃGG

Everyone drinks it, including the children!

Here are some recipes I have collected over the years:

RECIPES FOR GLÃGG

GLÃGG Recipe #1.

Here is a recipe for GLÃGG I received from a Swedish/American Friend - Ruth Gregory:

Boil together in 1 pint of water:

15 whole cardamom seeds (peeled)

7 tsp. cloves

4 sticks of cinnamon

the peel from 2 oranges (take out white)

HOW TO DO IT: ~ Boil for 20 minutes, cool and strain. Add 2 quarts of Claret wine (or a

good Burgundy) and one quart of vodka. Add 2 cups sugar (or to your

taste). When heating for serving, add a few raisins and an almond to the (each) cup.

GLÃGG Recipe #2

1 bottle of red wine (cheap)

1/4 - 1/2 cup (0,5 - 1 dl) vodka (not spicy)

5 - 20 pcs. of cloves (whole cloves)

1 large teaspoon of cardamom seeds

2 - 4 pcs. (sticks) of cinnamon

1 - 2 pcs. of ginger

Peels from half a lemon

1/2 - 1 cup of sugar

1 large teaspoon of vanilla sugar

HOW TO DO IT: Crush cinnamon and cardamom. Peel lemon. Put all spices + peels in a glass jar with the vodka. Cover. Leave over night. Strain the vodka, toss the spices. Mix the now spicy vodka with wine and sugars.

Heat all ingredients in a large kettle until steaming hot. Do not boil! Stir and taste. If not sweet enough, add sugar. If too sweet, add vodka and wine.

Serve with peeled almonds (or just chop them up) and raisins, plus of course ginger bread cookies.

The Glögg will be even spicier and gets a fuller taste if you bottle it and leave it for a week. * You can also leave out the vodka if you wish something without alcohol.

[recipe from: Christmas in Sweden ]

GLÃGG RECIPE #3

From a Swedish-American friend I met while doing family research, Mrs. Ellen (Johnson)Lloyd of Chicago, Illinois.

1 gallon port wine

a fifth of blended whiskey

1 short handful (??) raisins

10 whole cardamom seeds (cracked)

4 sticks cinnamon

10 almonds

10 cloves

3 pieces whole ginger (optional)

White Karo syrup

Mix wine, whiskey, and spices in large pan (with cover) and bring to a boil,stirring occasionally.

When it starts to boil, shut off flame (I think he meant the stove)

Hold cover in hand (this IS actually on the recipe)

Light mixture (with match) and let flame for about 15 secs (counting one-one-thousand, etc....)

Snuff out flame with cover

Sweeten with Karo syrup to suit. Allow to sit a couple of hours. Drink hot.

Enjoy. . .I am NOT responsible for those of you who over enjoy. . .but it is gooooood!

Below in a link will take you to my Family History website site where I have other Recipes posted and links to some interesting stories about Swedish Christmas, with music.

On my site you will find things about my HOME and GARDENS on my 'Author's Pages'. Including my Genealogy, it is a huge site.

I have to get it updated to the Christmas Season, so will be working on that this week. It is a big task, but I enjoy it.

There are lots of pages about Christmas and traditions in other Lands, as they pertain to my family heritages.

As I am getting many requests for more recipes, more will be added, including some wonderful Irish family recipes, and some sent to me from a dear relative in Dublin.

Hope you ENJOY!

~ SweetAnnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Swedish Christmas Recipes

Comments (18)