SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa0323_gw

Newbie with lots of questions

lisa0323
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to growing clematis and I have some questions. I have a nice, sturdy fence type wall for privacy near my deck in the backyard. Right now it has a HUGE trumpet vine growing on it that was planted by the previous owners. My husband and I really, really don't like the trumpet vine. It's very invasive and attracts a ton of bees. So, we've decided that we want to totally get rid of it and cover the wall with different types of clematis. Where do I start? We need to get rid of the trumpet vine - any advice on the best way to do that? Once it is gone can I buy the different clematis to plant this year or should I wait for the spring? What varieties do you recommend? I'd love to have some different ones so they bloom all throughout the spring and summer. I'm not picky about colors either. Do you have any ideas of places that I could get the plants pretty inexpensively. Also, the wall is sorta a zig-zag shape and it is about 15 feet long. How many different plants could I get to fill the area? I'd like to put them as close as I can to really cover the wall but I don't want to crowd them. Of course, expense is always an issue too. Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it!

Bye,

Lisa in Ohio

Comments (11)