SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

Thanksgiving Cactus Progression and Questions

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

Here are some pictures of my Thanksgiving cactus that I bought in bloom (red flowers with white centers) at a local grocery store last year.

Spring

{{gwi:638487}}

Currently (Taken today)

{{gwi:638488}}

I have it growing in cacti/succulent soil with a little orchid bark mixed in (repotted in spring also). The pot it's in is plastic and setting inside of the basket (it has plastic lining inside). I gave it tomato fertilizer (MG) this year in hoping to get it to bloom. It's one of my houseplants that's still left outside and it's close to the house at night (under the little porch, some Hoya forum members here may remember). It's still growing and I don't see any buds yet (probably not until next month).

Inside, it grows in the back bathroom where it gets bright indirect (maybe a tiny amount of direct) light from a skylight and a small western facing window. I also have my Epiphyllum oxypetalum in the same room. It sets on the bathtub (in a corner and it sets on the seat and the epi sets on another corner. The bathroom's cool in winter and gets humid (from the shower). Does this sound good for both cacti? BTW, my epi's also growing in a plastic pot with the same soil mix. They stay moist a long time but drain well. On a side note, you may notice some leaves that look variegated. I think I might have given it too much sun. This plant is not variegated (unless that's the new leaves turning green as they start out pink).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (6)