SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnas_gw

Jackmanni clematis and second bloom

donnas_gw
17 years ago

My jackmanii clematis has many of the fuzzy seed heads where the flowers had fallen off after the first bloom. This years flowers were many, they were so pretty. What do I need to do to get ready for the second bloom? I want it to be as great as the first. I've never done anything in the past years, and I would only get 1 or 2 flowers the second bloom time. Someone said I could remove those fuzzy seed heads but I didn't have to. Can someone tell me what to do here? Thank you.

Comments (26)

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

Donna..it is best to prune the seedheads off...it only stands to reason...why have your vine spend all that energy trying to produce seedheads that you have no intentions of planting?..Pruning the seed heads allows your vine to focus on producing more vines and blooms..which is what you desire...go ahead and cut all the vines half way back on your "Jackmanii" and fertilize with Either Rose Food or Tomato fertilizer and water..you will have another bloom cycle...Jeanne

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jeanne...you're saying cut the vines halfway back and cut off the seed heads? Where do I cut the seed heads? Just under the head or where it connects to the vine? Thanks.

• Related Discussions

not jackmanni clematis- smaller

Q

Comments (3)
    Clematis 'Blue Sensation' has the smaller blooms Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis 'Blue Sensation'
    ...See More

is my jackmanni growing as it should?

Q

Comments (25)
    That's what I figured Jeanne, I think I really asked a stupid question here :) eden_in_me, I'll try staggering them next year. I do know I'll NEVER prune them all the way to the ground again. I have gone out and gently wrapped it around my mailbox so that it spirals. I used one piece of twine to tie it to hold it in place. It was just growing straight up behind the box. I thought it would automatically climb around the mailbox post itself, but it didn't.
    ...See More

Second batch of clematis flowers different from first

Q

Comments (5)
    So, Jeanne...which are the "true" Nelly Moser flowers? The giant pale white ones with the sort of pale pink stripe, or the extravagantly pink but smaller second batch of flowers? I'm just ecstatic to have it blooming at all this second year, and have it with so many new large shiny green leaves. What a contrast to the sickly runt of the nursery's litter that I planted last year! The nursery even consented to give me a discount on this Nelly because it was the last Nelly they had and it was admittedly a "loser" looking plant. I guess it liked the Plant-tone fertilizer I used, its early March pruning, and its regular watering. Go Nelly go!!
    ...See More

3-way winner: second rose to bloom

Q

Comments (10)
    How Gorgeous Kate! Wowza, so many blooms! In global warming times, my tea rose yes, in Zone 5!!!! survived with fully green canes, not a single dieback! Roses kept breaking dormancy constantly during winter. Then starting at the end of February I got fully developing leaves, lol! I am about ready to post the roses that I failed to post in terms of last-blooming and my first one to fully open for 2012 is Clementina Carboniera (April 3)which is bursting with buds... March 30th was actually when the bud was in "tulip form". Smells just like my beloved long gone Gemini (sob!).....but the form of course is just like a classic tea rose. Looks like I can test more teas in my garden now, lol! I went and change my climate zone too... Weather's been crazy!!! Had to put on the Air Conditioning to 3 days ago...It's cool and sunny now, but it was starting to get roasty awhile back, lol! Everything is loaded with buds so I'm going to have wazoos of lopsided blooms coming soon, hahaha!
    ...See More
  • jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

Yes...follow the seedhead down and cut right above where it connects to the vine..and yes cut all your vines 1/2 way back and remove all seedheads if any left after cutting halfway back and fertilize....Jeanne

• golden_ca_2000
    17 years ago

Jeanne - I decided to give it a try and cut my Jackmanni back as mine was also full of seed heads. I had alot of dead looking vine underneath the greenery - so I cut it back basically in 1/2 - I hope that will be ok?? I have never tried doing this. I fertilized also. So when do you think I should see new growth starting?? Sure looks bare out there - lol. Golden

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

It seems to take mine 6 weeks after pruning them back....I know..I am getting ready to cut back "Solina" and my "Jackmanii"...This will be their 3rd bloom period for me..that's what I love about being in a zone with a longer growing season!!...Goodluck and let me know...Jeanne

• golden_ca_2000
    17 years ago

Jeanne , But do you think that cutting it back by 1/2 isnt too much? Hope not cause its done now - lol. Golden

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My jackmanii is covering my entire mailbox. If I do cut it halfway back, will the vines grow back to the same height as they were in time for the second bloom?

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

Yes they should...

• judith5bmontreal
    17 years ago

Hi Jeanne - I'm telling you, I learn something new every day on these forums! I have had Jackmanni for about 8 years, and I didn't know they would rebloom if I cut them back and deadhead them! They usually look a little untidy now, but this year is the first time I cut them back because they were hanging over the 6-foot fence, and everytime it got too windy, both of the great big tops would fly back over to this side of the fence, and hang from the trellis and wires on my side! I thought the whole thing would come down. Anyway, I got tired of throwing that whole mass of foliage and flowers back over the top of the fence, so I cut it back (not knowing of course that it would help it rebloom!). And as Lynn said, there was a lot of dead-looking stuff underneath (plus I'm sure I broke tons of branches by throwing it back over). I guess I will get out there and deadhead for the afternoon - it's the first day in a long time that the humidity hasn't been unbearable (at least for me). Of course, it can't compare to the heat wave for you all down south - I hope you are keeping cool! Thanks again for the tip.

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

Judith..you are so welcomed!!..Forums like these are how I learned to grow Clematis..I have Clematis Gurus all over the web...share pics one day..I am sure yours is fabulous and remember to fertilize after pruning...Jeanne

• judith5bmontreal
    17 years ago

Jeanne - I was just going to fertilize the whole garden with liquid kelp (because it's getting late in the season), is that ok for the clematis? I'm going to order Eleanor's fert. that was recommended on this forum, but only for next year. I would love to see pictures of your clematis (and roses, because you also post on the rose forum!) they must be so beautiful! I am hinting around about a digital camera for Xmas/birthday, but my boys, smart as they are, just aren't very good at picking up hints!LOL So most likely I'll be buying one for myself, and then I will need to learn to post the pictures - I can't wait. I have been taking pictures with a regular camera, but I can't do those gorgeous closeups on the gallery. Anyway, I'll have to be patient...

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

Judith..LOL..well, just buy yourself a camera as a gift to yourself!!..Or write them a note saying,"Momma would like a nice digital camera as a gift if you are having problems deciding what to get me!"..Posting is easy if you have a site to upload your pics to ..if you don't.... email me and I can give you a link to a site where you can put your pics for free..we will have you sharing pics like mad..yes, My passion are Roses and Clematis..but I also love Plumerias and Daylilys...I have never used Kelp on my Clematis...I bought 4 gallons of Eleanors stuff so I am experimenting with that stuff to see what I think!!..will let you know...I know you are suppose to stop fertilizing 6 weeks before your first freeze/coldspell on any plant as you don't want them go on a growth spurt only to have the cold weather zap them..so they can go dormant at their normal time...anything organic can never hurt tho...Jeanne

• piksi_hk
    17 years ago

Hi Jeanne,

I cut my Jackmanni back but need to fertilize.
    Today I got two blooms on my Crimson Star...I'm so happy!
    And there are more buds.

Betsy

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I cut my jackmanii back, but I think I cut it back more than just half way. I got carried away with my shears and I cut off almost all of the seed heads with those vines. Was I supposed to cut off the dead wood (which I did) or leave it? I also fertilized.

• golden_ca_2000
    17 years ago

Donnas, Well I did the same thing - lol. so hopefully it will be alright - never tried it this time of the year before. Glad Im not a hairdresser - lol. I got a little snip happy too - I have no greenery left - did you leave any?? Golden

• judith5bmontreal
    17 years ago

Jeanne - maybe I just might get myself one! It won't be this season though. As soon as I have it in my hot little hands, I will take you up on your offer to show me how to upload the photos. I'm technologically challenged so I hope it's simple. I am going to ask my sons to help me scan a few regular pictures (don't know how they will turn out) and maybe I can e-mail that to you for now? Anyway, I'll post later when I find out how to do it!

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

Oh Goodie Judith!!..Anytime..just ask...Donna..you did good..if you ever find any dead vines..always prune those even with the soil...nuttin' gonna come of them anyway
    WOW Lynn..you really did get prune happy..I know it seems scary..heck the first time I went outside to prune mine back I had to have two double Tangeray Martinis to get up the nerve and wore magnifying glasses to make sure I could see ( I was seeing double..LOL)..but once you see the results from pruning you'll go WOW, look what I have been missing all these years...Jeanne

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hi golden ca.. I have 3 or 4 vines left. They were mostly brown BUT covered with greenery, so I left them. They are about 2 feet tall now, where they were hanging over the mailbox and touching the ground. I never really had them spiraling like I wanted. My husband and I went out earlier this summer and tried to get them to climb around the mailbox, but the vines were so tangled up, we said forget it. Jeanne....should I have cut the remaining vines back to the ground since the vines were brown even though there were plenty of leaves??

• golden_ca_2000
    17 years ago

Hope your right Jeanne - By the way I love your style of pruneing - lol. Scissors in one hand - Martinis in the other - lol. Mindu - I could just loose a finger that way. Your funny :0)
    When I do something I do it big - all or nothing

By the way Donnas - one of the books I have been reading by Linda Beutler titled Gardening with Clematis - Linda states (regarding pruning) "If you want a generalization that will carry you right through the entire genus, here it is: When all other logic fails, the best time to prune any clematis - to whatever degree you wish - is right after it has finished its first flowering of the growing season. You wont have to worry about disrupting the flower timing, and there will be more growing season remaining for the plants recovery. Carry this pearl of wisdom with you always" She also says " If your vines have become unsightly they are sending you a message: Prune me this very minute.
    So because my plants looked unsightly underneath (really twiggy and sticky looking) - I decided to go for it and see what happens. I will let you know what happens - I decided to try it on 2 of my clems - Jackmanni and Dr ruppel which is a group 2.
    Golden :0)

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

"Jeanne....should I have cut the remaining vines back to the ground since the vines were brown even though there were plenty of leaves??"
    Donna..No..the vines themselves turn brown with age but are still viable...those that get pruned to the ground show no leaves and are dead..please don't confuse the two..but in saying that Clematis "Jackmanii" is a pruning group 3 which means every late winter/early Spring it is hard pruned to just an inch above the second or third leaf axil and fertilized...then when the first bloom period is over you can prune all the vines back to 1/2 or 1/3..depending on the look you want for remember that the pruning group 3s bloom on the new vines grown after pruning..you can never go wrong ..it invigorates your vine ..remember to fertilize each time you prune...
    Lynn..you go girl...can't wait to see the results of your haircut...Jeanne

• indylars
    17 years ago

I am now just getting a few blooms back on my Jackmanii. I cut it back only about a third. Basically just the blooming tops where all the seed heads were. Unfortunately I did not fertilize at the time of pruning. Is it too late to give it a boost? I also have a Josephs Coat rose that probably could use a good dose too. I hope the garden centers have Rose fertilizer on sale now.

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

Rule of thumb...always stop fertilizing 6 weeks prior to your first coldsnap!!..Or it will only kill all the newgrowth..How much growing season do you have left??..I don't think enough to fertilize now huh?..Just asking since I live in a much warmer zone than you....Jeanne

• indylars
    17 years ago

We usually do not have a cold snap till about late October (hopefully. Since Jackmanii is a type III and here we prune it to about 8 inches every spring I am not too concerned with new foilage getting snapped.

• arabs4me
    17 years ago

I read in one of the posts to fertilize with Rose food. What about the Rose fertilizer 'spikes' that you see? Would those be OK or just a one time fertilizer? Thanks

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My jacmanni looks the same as the day I cut it back. Haven't noticed any growth, but the foliage is still there and it's still green.

• ladysoul
    13 years ago

Not sure what kind of clematis I own. One is dark purple and the other is almost lilac in color. I was wondering if it is too late to prune since they are already starting to rebloom. The flowers are MUCH smaller than the first show. Also how do I harvest and plant all the seeds as I would love to multiply my collection especially the darker one.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21