SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliaw_gw

sticky residue, not scale

16 years ago

A few months ago I had stickiness and scale on my Thai lime. I cleaned the plant thoroughly (picked off insects' waxy protection then wiped each and every leaf, stem, nook and cranny with a mild detergent solution). I've been keeping a close eye on it to detect scale the moment it crops up again, but nada. Perfectly clean. It looks great.

Now, it's developing a stickiness to the leaves again. This appears to be different. Before, there were big, discrete drops of stuff, but now it's an allover flush to only the oldest leaves and it looks less like something is excreting all over and more like the tree is sweating. Also, the fluid is exceptionally resinous (citrus) smelling, unlike before. When disturbed, the fluid gives off an incredibly strong Thai lime leaf smell.

I've been popping in at various times during the day for a week (searching with a flashlight, wiping various leaves to look for evidence of ... anything!) and haven't detected any insect activity whatsoever. Do citrus ever just exude resin, or do I definitely have a pest problem? The tree looks wonderful -- huge glossy leaves with a lot of new growth, and even 3 healthy-looking developing limes. I'm reluctant to spray it with anything if I can't find a specific problem that needs combating. I'm stumped.

Thanks for any help!

Comment