SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brass_tacks

Diatomaceous Earth for miticide, insecticide, human, etc. etc.

brass_tacks
14 years ago

As citrus growers we know that the ants that run up and down our trees harvest and protect aphids and scale. The damage that aphids inflect enable diseases to destroy our trees -- like Canker to name just one.

I'm reading about Diatomaceous Earth and can't believe I never heard about all the marvelous uses for this natural stuff.

So here is something we can use to prevent and destroy ants in and around our trees. No harm to us. No harm to your pets, birds, earthworms, etc. In fact, you can spray your home, yard, animal areas -- the list is massive.

To coat/paint the tree truck, use 1/2 cup of soap (recommend Castile, but I know Fels Naptha is just as good.)I suggest melting the soap in water and then using the water to put into the tank that holds 2 and 1/2 gallon water, and 1 Cup DE. The soap is used so that the powder when dry will stick. Supposedly, it will adhere to leaves even after a rain -- I suppose that claim is somewhat relative to conditions -- leaves rubbing together, amount of dew and rain.

One (1) cup equals 3 ounces. A 50 pound bag contains 266 cups.

The 50 pound bags are the best deal. The price ranges I've found run from $21 to $40. Shipping probably varies.

Spray the trunks of the trees. Of course, spraying the whole tree is a good idea too. Have any of you used Diatomaceous Earth (DE) as a miticide, insecticide?

There are a few web sites that go into detail about all the uses for Diatomaceous Earth -- for pets, humans, yards -- It must be some kind of well-kept secret. I'm seeing it for sale in 1 pound and up to 50 pound bags. It is also being sold in jugs.

Since DE does not dissolve, to use the water/powder application, a constant shaking of the container is needed. Also, a concern would be clogging a pump, so a Sirup Pump can be used with no clogging. That's the kind of pump that firemen use to put out small brush fires.

Here is a site with the most information I found.

Here is a link that might be useful: Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth

Comments (4)