SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lori_holder_gw

baby clematis not doing well...

13 years ago

I got my first clematis, a Rebecca, from Whiteflower a month or so ago. I put it on the south side of the house and mulched over the roots (and kept the mulch away from the stems), watered it up, etc. but it's just looking kind of weedy and wilted. It doesn't look like the clematis wilt pictures I've found on line, and it's continued to look wilted for 2 weeks without getting any worse.

I'm in Western Mass, and we've been having some pretty breathtaking heat for weeks. It put out 1 flower and stopped growing at all. This afternoon, I dug it up and put it back in a big pot to get it some more shade (and replaced it with a paniculata) but I'd like to get this Rebecca into good health so that it can go into the landscape.

Is this from the heat? Should I cut it back, now that it's "flowered"?

I felt awful when I saw that this tiny little plant actually used up the juice to make a flower & wondered if I should cut the bud off to make it invest in its root system. I know clematis are supposed to be pretty finicky, but my mother once said that if I hadn't killed any plants lately, I wasn't stretching myself as a gardener. I would just as soon this one not be one of the ones I kill - the flower, though small and ill-advised, was VERY pretty.

Any advice for my plant would be helpful. It's now in a gallon pot with the soil from its original hole, and getting the same light as my blooming Stella d'Oro daylilies.

Comments (5)