SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilseschuhe

First time planting clematis. Not doing well. Need help.

ilseschuhe
15 years ago

This is my first year I have attempted to plant anything and so far things are not looking well. Last spring I started feeding birds and during the cold winter months, I decided I was going to plant 2 crabapple and 1 dogwood trees so the birds had something to munch on. After I planted the trees, I decided to plant some flowering bushes, roses, clematis, etc. So far I have killed my Henryi clematis and my Pink Fantasy is also starting to get some brown leaves on it. Henryi seemed fine a couple of days ago and then all of the sudden some of the leaves turned brown and a day later the whole vine looked dead. I need some serious help. My Dad mowed over my oso easy peachy cream rose plant and another flower plant, so now I have lost 3 plants. These questions I know are going to sound really stupid, but I need to ask them. Here are my questions...please help. My clematis plants (purchased at Brushwood Nursery online) were planted near a chain link fence. I planted them approximately 1 foot away from the fence digging 18" deep and 18" wide. #1 How do you train a clematis to go on a fence? Do I separate stems and tie each one loosely to fence and let them wrap their tendrils to the fence themselves or do I take the tendrils and wrap them around the fence myself? This may tell me why Henryi died. I had small stones around the plants to keep their roots cool, but recently I just read you should add 4" of mulch 8 inches away from clematis and 2 feet all around the plant. Is this for plants that are about 2 years old? Going through the internet on planting clematis, I have read you should add bonemeal, aged cow manure, compost, etc. Where would I get all these things? Would Lowes have these things and if there is something I can buy which has all ingredients I need in one bag, what products are available? I also planted them 2" deeper than it was planted in pot. Another thing that worries me is I'm not sure if I am over watering or under watering. I have been going out every other day and would just water for about a half a minute. We've had quite a bit of rain lately. I read somewhere on hot days you should give it a gallon a day and somewhere else I read it's better to water deeply twice a week than it is to water just a little bit every day. With the two I planted, I used Miracle-Gro Garden soil for Trees & Shrubs and the description is

Benefits

Enriched with Miracle-Gro Continuous Release Plant Food. It has all the essential nutrients to promote vigorous blooms, foliage and root growth; and it feeds for up to 3 months. A complete garden soil for all types of deciduous, evergreen and flowering trees and shrubs. Far superior to topsoi with its scientific blend of coarse forest products, sphagnum peat moss and manure. Fortified with phosphorus and iron to promote root development and prevent leaf yellowing.

Fertilizer Analysis

.15 - . 05 - .10

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH