SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
penfold2

More Soil Substrate Comparisons

penfold2
12 years ago

Inspired by xerophyte_nyc's previous experiment on soil substrates, I decided to carry out my own. I focused on drainage components since that is my biggest concern, and is always an issue for succulent growers. The materials I used are lava rock, pumice, granite grit, and perlite.

{{gwi:632386}}

While the original sizes of the materials prevented me from using perfectly identical particle sizes, I did sift them to obtain very similar sizes. This should provide a meaningful comparison, but one should keep in mind that particle size has a very strong influence on these numbers, so they should be looked at primarily in relative terms. Also, mixing different particle sizes tends to yield results similar to those of the smallest particle size. So, for example, adding perlite to peat will not increase porosity until the mix is mostly perlite. This is why I try to use equal particle sizes in my mixes.

After sifting, I filled each cup with substrate, then measured the amount of water required to fill the cup and substrate, then measured the amount of water that drained from the cup when the drainage hole was uncovered. From these two numbers I determined the values below.
Porosity (% air space)
Water Capacity %
Saturation (water/porosity)
Perlite
Pumice
Lava
Granite

There are a couple interesting things to note here. Perlite, pumice and lava rock appear to have very similar characteristics, with perlite holding just a bit more water than the others. From the looks of things, I'd say they could be used nearly interchangeable. And although I didn't expect granite to hold much water, I also didn't expect it to be so far behind the other materials, especially since it appeared to have a slightly smaller particle size than the rest. Yet it held only 8% water. Obviously it has no internal porosity, but its smooth surface may also help it to shed water when compared to the irregular surfaces of the other materials.

Comments (11)