SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetgreen_gw

torture chamber, or possible planting spot?

sweetgreen
13 years ago

We would like to plant a few trees to improve a view at work. Preferably conifers as the common belief is less leaf clean-up; though I am open to deciduous suggestions as well. The location is a narrow 'aisle' that is 25 ft wide and 50+ ft long. The long direction is east-west. At the north and south of this patch of ground are buildings that are close to 30 ft high. The ground recieves zero direct sunlight in the dead of winter due to the height of the walls - but I think most of it will get direct high summer sun. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the biggest challenge will be the soil. The ground in question is an old rail-road bed and very gravely. Little grass grows there, mostly weeds including plantains and knapweed that are only weed-whipped a few times a year to keep them in check. The business is not likely to put forth any $ to help amend the soil - so it's just a few of us employees that will pool our money to buy a tree or two and I'll be digging the hole myself.

Is there such a tree that could exist, possibly thrive here? Or is it just a grave if we tried to plant something? The windows are high up, so we couldn't see a nice planting of one foot tall alpines. We're looking for something that will reach the 30 ft walls and exceed them in a few decades.

Comments (12)