SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Question about rootstock, hardiness and tolerances

whaas_5a
12 years ago

I googled the heck out of this and found some good info on CNOS. I understand these are loaded questions as it may depend on geographic region and actual grafter but I'm hoping I can get some general direction. I was going to email a couple of you direct but figured this might be beneficial for lurkers.

Questions #1:

Possibly a dumb questions but if you take a scion of Pinus leucodermis and put it on Pinus sylvestris understock you won't necessarily have the common diseases associated with P. sylvetris with the Pinus leucodermis scion correct?

Question #2:

This is taken from CNOS. I like to use Abies procera as an understock for Abies procera, concolor, and lasiocarpa. They perform well and do not develop a large burl of callous tissue at the graft union, which can occasionally happen with other species understocks..

Does this potentially mean I can purchase a Abies concolor cultivar knowing its typically zone 4 but yet its grafted to a zone 5 borderline Abies procera therefore this plant will croak in zone 4?

Questions #3:

This is taken from CNOS. Spruce (Picea) cultivars may be grafted onto any species of spruce understock. Picea abies is the most abundant understock grown from seed and is most commonly used. Picea pungens is also used by many growers in the northwest because it develops a more fibrous root system on plants that are field grown in the nursery.

Does this mean a Picea omorika cultivar could be grafted to Picea abies therefore making it more adaptable to wet soils? Picea abies is by far the best performing spruce in clay soils.

Question #4:

Also taken from CNOS. Pinus thunbergiana is used by some people as understock for Pinus parviflora since it gives a higher salt tolerance to the plant.

Could this be one reason various Pinus parviflora are croaking in zone 4 and zone 5 even? Does the same old true if a Pinus parviflora is grafted to Pinus strobus you then have a zone 3 hardy Pinus parviflora?

Question #5:

At the end of the day are there any generalities of which cultivar will be grafted to what understock (Abies, Picea and Pinus) or is it best to ask the source what it is grafted to?

Perhaps I don't even need to worry about this except for very sensitive cultivars like 'Chief Jospeh'. Eitherway I find it interesting.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm