SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Citrus pioneers from the North, it's not easy!

meyermike_1micha
11 years ago

That's right!

I don't mean easy keeping them alive, pest free, and healthy...What I mean is..IT'S NOT EASY TO KEEP THEM CONSISTANTLY GROWING to the point that we get large trees full of fruit in a good amount of time.

I have to say "hats of to you" for doing a great job at the least making them survive and helping them along for what ever the reason is until we can stick them outside in consistant STABLE temps!

That is the part that is not easy!
Do you realize how much bigger our trees would be, greener, faster growing if we could expose them to temps above 55 at night and below the 90's by day for weeks on end?

It is a challange and to be quite honest very discouraging!!!!!!! I think that my trees only grow continualy and worth noticing just a few short weeks of the year the way I would like.

In the past week I finally had a great flush of growth since the temps were nice and warm by day and night until tonight! Now they have to deal with cold nights below the 50's again, to be precise, 30's!!!!! Unless I lug them all back inside again!

It is always a grow, stall, grow stall, grow stall with my trees until finally the constant temps day after day of above 50 at night arrives in June! I think i belong much further south than this

Arg! It's no wonder that many of us northerners have to deal with slowed growth and trees that take forever to get big at the mercy of our weather, that is of course until you can grow them in a green house with lot's of even temps and good light.lol
Yes, from this stand point, "It's NOT easy!"
So don't worry, if your potted trees up here in the north don't grow as fast as you would like, and you have provided everything they need except for consistant temps, it just may not be your fault:-)

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Mon, May 13, 13 at 19:22

Comments (6)