SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newgen_gw

What's wrong with my citrus trees?

newgen
15 years ago

I'm in Bakersfield, central California. There are plenty of orange groves around my area. For the past 2 years, I've planted several citruses (lemon, orange, and "cocktail" ) bought from the local Home Depot. Several have died. One that survived since last year is not healthy at all. All the leaves, though green, curl up, no new leaves are sprouting. Some branches are brown and snap off easily. This tree is about 4' tall.

Then there are 2 very small lemon trees I just put down 3 months ago, they're 2' tall. The leaves that came with them are still there, not curled up like the one mentioned above, but there have been no new growth at all for 3 months.

I water these about 2 times a week. Always checking with a moisture probe, the one where I push it into the ground to see how wet or dry the soil is. I did sprinkle some general purpose fertilizer around these 3 trees.

Some info that may help you guys help me:

The soil is dry near the surface, but with the probe dug in at least 6", it reads "medium" or "wet" most of the time. Initially I tried watering them daily, then cut back to once or twice a week. No difference. I think the 1st tree is stricken with some disease, but not sure what.

Also, I've planted 6 avocado trees and 5 persimmon trees, all died, leaves dropped, branches browned out, dried out. I'm at a loss about what to do.

Thank you for any advice.

Comment (1)