SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gmgpk

Help with Cactus & Succulent Soil Mix

gmgpk
15 years ago

I've started growing Cactus & Succulents with my Gesneriads and Orchids and they've been cohabitating quite nicely. But, I've run into soil issues. I picked up a few bags of a Cactus, Palm & Citrus soil mix that is mostly peat that I transplanted most of my collection into. Everything I've read on Cactus & Succulents since repotting says stay away from peat based products. I know from reading that the soil has to be coarse and I can't find potting mix that is peat free. I just joined the CSSA and their soil recipe refers to a product called Metro Mix that I have never seen in my area and it is highly unlikely that I'll ever find it here. Has anyone heard of this? What is it? So, I have to make up my own from what I have on hand or can purchase in my area. I have potting bark, premade orchid mix, lava rock and builders sand that we use for Orchids and a few Carnivorous Plants that I could use. I use equal parts peat, perlite and vermiculite for my gesneriads and a little charcoal. Can I modify my Gesneriad soil or the orchid mix to accomodate the Cactus? What kind of recipe would you recommend? Any suggestions would be helpful because I have to repot soon. Thanks, Shelley

Comment (1)