SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justaguy2

do citrus struggle in spring (containers)

justaguy2
15 years ago

Hi all,

I purchased 3 citrus trees 6 weeks ago (zone 5, Wisconsin) and upon arrival they all looked basically healthy, but showing signs of nutrient deficiency. They were shipped bare root and in some cases it looks like a clear case of iron deficiency, but on other cases it isn't so clear (may be multiple things going on).

Anyway, I potted the trees into 50% Turface MVP and 50% pine bark fines amended with a little gypsum and lime and fertilized with a 3-1-2 ratio liquid fert containing all nutrients. I kept them inside in front of a south facing patio door because it was too cold outside for several weeks, but they have been outside the last week with nights getting to 40F.

Anyway, the leaves still look the same as the day I got them. I assume this is because the average temp really isn't high enough to get them growing and doing much yet, but my real question (finally) is whether or not it is normal for the trees to look a little on the nutrient stressed side in the spring.

As a side question, what temps do you folks look for at night before putting out container citrus for the season? My understanding is most are cold hardy to 15-32F, but don't really grow below 50F. Am I making a mistake letting them deal with 40F at night with days 70F?

Comments (19)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES