SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

What is this citrus?

Help! I don't know what this is exactly--maybe someone here can help?

In summer 2009 I bought 3 citrus -- a meyer lemon, a key lime, and an orange-- at a mail-order nursery overstock sale. Things are often mislabeled or only shelf labeled there, so it is not certain that any one tree was what I thought.

With repotting, and moving in and out of the house, I lost my tags, so now I don't know which is which. Two look very much alike.

The third and largest one set fruit last summer which I left on the tree until now--not knowing when I should pick them, but they were starting to soften so I picked them yesterday.

Unlike oranges that I have seen in groves that start out green then turn as they ripen, these were fully orange very early on.

The fruit is small (1-2.5 inches)and shaped more like tangerine, not as round as orange, not like lemon; the peel is very thin, tight to the flesh, and actually edible; when opened the sections look like tangerine or orange; when tasted the first impression is of tangerine, but then it has the bite and pow of lemon--more tart than sweet. I'd actually say the tangerine flavor is more from the peel than the flesh. The largest one had seeds.

So in some respects I'd say tangerine--but the peel appearance and lemon-like flavor don't quite match tangerines I'm familiar with.

So what do I have? Any guesses?

This nursery was selling "Rangpur Lime" last year which I read also has orange fruit---could my tree be that?

I am trying to attach the photos of the fruit and tree. The first 3 pics, and the 7th, in this album are the tree in question. The others are not very good indoor shots of the other two trees.

Hope someone can help!

Raee

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery citrus

Comments (8)