SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethw_swva

citrus in containers, verifiying the proper care

elizabethw_swva
12 years ago

In a spurt of "gee I can't wait for spring" some time ago, I ordered three citrus trees online. I am the proud owner of a venous orange, a meyer lemon, and a key lime, all dwarf.

I have spent a lot of time searching the forums for information and I have planted them in gritty mix in rather larger containers than I would have normally chosen, but since it drains so well, and lasts a long time, I decided to go for fewer repots and a chance for their roots to grow undisturbed for a couple of years (I hope). I ordered foliage pro, it arrived yesterday.

I was planning on checking my water's pH level, adjusting with either citric acid or white vinegar, and watering when necessary using the dowel indicator with 1/4 tsp per gallon of foliage pro every 3 out of 4 waterings, with a full flush watering on the 4th watering.

I live in zone 6, so they'll live outside when it's warm enough, but inside in my south facing window when it's not. I can't make it terribly cool inside at that location, but it stays around 65 to 70 there. It's a big window with a shelf in front of it, so they'll get plenty of light. I had also thought about putting them in the garage with lights over the winter, but I think I'd like to enjoy them inside if possible.

I didn't put a wick in the bottom of the pots, I didn't see that as a possibility until after I potted them yesterday. Is this a major problem? I'm pretty happy with the way the gritty mix turned out and it drains well, so maybe I can get away without one?

If you all could check my grand plan and tell me if I'm on the wrong or the right track, I'd appreciate it. I have lots of experience with vegetables and ordinary houseplants, and one orchid that seems to thrive on benign neglect (although when it stops flowering I'm going to repot it, so it may die). I've read the thread on soil and water movement, I've read about fertilizer, I have read so much my husband thinks I'm nuts and I'm dreaming about potted plants.

Thanks for any help and/or corrections you might be able to give me!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor