SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilseschuhe

My clematis vines keep dying. What am I doing wrong?

ilseschuhe
15 years ago

This is my first year planting things and so far I have killed Henryi and Miss Bateman. Pink Fantasy is still hanging in there and Sweet Autumn Clematis is still in a pot because I am afraid I am going to kill it too. All though I am not sure what kind of soil I have, I do not think it is clay. I think I have really good soil because when I dig a hole there are always lots of earthworms. I have questions that I need to ask. When I purchased these from Garden Crossings and Brushwood Nursery, they all came in plastic containers with canes in them. The stems were tied to canes. When I plant these in the ground, do I leave the canes with the stems still tied to them or do I take the canes out? Next question is how exactly do you train a clematis to climb a fence? If the clematis is planted one foot away from fence, do you let it grow taller and when it's long enough direct it to the fence or lay it against the fence tying it with twist ties? Miss Bateman was fairly large and I took the stake out of the pot and tried attaching it to the fence with twist ties thinking it would eventually wrap itself to the fence, but it died. Also need to know if I should add bonemeal when planting clematis. Also is there such a thing as a leader on a clematis vine? If yes, how would you identify it? The leader would be the first to attach to the fence? When I looked to see where I wanted to purchase my clematis online, someone left negative review for nursery because the leader was dead and she had to train a new one. My Sweet Autumn Clematis is about 20 inches high from top of soil. Any idea about how long it will take before it is ready to be trained to fence? Do I let it grow for a year and then train? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (6)