SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsboomernc

Today's Garden Quote

mrsboomernc
18 years ago

i thought it might be fun to post a daily gardening quote. some will be humorous,

some profound, and some may leave you thinking, "whaaaa?" i'll enjoy this - hope you do too.

comments, or thrown tomatoes, always welcome, of course :)

here's a timely (post-swap) thought:

"I am not a greedy person except about flowers

and plants, and then I become fanatically

greedy."

- May Sarton

American poet & novelist, a feminist icon.

(1912-1996)

Comments (27)

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

Good idea, shall we have one quote per day and once it's posted, that's our slogan for the day? I think that would be cool...sort of like dictionary.com's "word of the day."

Marsha, email me at lakini7@msn.com about the baptisia and brug. It'll be fun to work out something. I don't have your email address.

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

Quote for Today, September 27, 2005

"And we've got to get ourselves back to the garden..."

From "Woodstock," Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young

• nberg7
    18 years ago

Excellent quote! Daughter #2 called me a few years ago to ask me who CSN&Y were because someone had given her free tickets to see them in Boston. I nearly fell OFF my chair, thinking FREE TICKETS, CSN&Y??? So, knowing that I was in angst about it, she called me from the concert and let me hear the whole thing via cell phone. Good thing it was weekend minutes. LOL Meanwhile, now she's a big fan of them, "borrowed" all my CD's and found it hysterically funny that a "bunch of old pharts at a concert" (her words) could really rock and roll.

-Nan

• dellare
    18 years ago

we were walking in paradise
    never did notice
    We had been told of a place
    Far beyond this vale of tears
    We could never have guessed
    We were already blessed
    There we were, where we are
    In the garden

Sorry, this is a refrain from a song but it is one of my favorites. Adele

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

I am verklempt, Adele!

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

OK, who's going to post the quote for Wed., 9-29...do I have to give homework to some of you. Marsha started this, now let's go...we need our words of wisdom for humpday.

• aisgecko
    18 years ago

Here is a line from "The Secret Garden" which was the first novel I ever read. It gave me my first thirst for gardening.
    "If you have never had a garden you cannot understand, and if you have had a garden you will know that it would take a whole book to describe all that came to pass there." -Ais.

• mrsboomernc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

wonderful quote.
    it's now an entry
    in my garden journal :)

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

I love that, ais. It's so true. Gardens are very personal in many ways. You don't need a password to get into them, but your experience there is between you and nature. Other eyes looking at the same thing, do not see or feel what you do because you are both artist and constant inhabitant.

I wonder what the quotation for tomorrow will be??? Let's try to date them and then comments and reactions will follow, but there will only be one quotation per day. That's what Marsha and I think will work so well. (we are a couple of control freaks) So please be planning your little piece of wisdom for some future day.

• trianglejohn
    18 years ago

Here's one for Thursday Sept 29:

Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. ~Lou Erickson

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

Above:
    Boy isn't that the truth!

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

I so agree! For me, not usually the frustration variety, just plain 'ol Carolina heat and humidity sweat! Just think if we could have little aquaducts off our bods all summer...now the Romans didn't think of that one!

Thank you, John. Does someone have our watchwords for Friday, the last day of Sept.?

• nberg7
    18 years ago

Okay- here's one from Gertrude Jekyll

"A garden is a grand teacher. It teaches patience and careful watchfulness; it teaches industry and thrift; above all it teaches entire trust."

• mrsboomernc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

i've definitely learned patience.
    still working on entire trust :)
    marsha

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

I've got the rest just about mastered, but the THRIFT seems to work the opposite here on Chirpin' Bird Hill. My garden must be the horticultural equivalent of Paris Hilton!

• nberg7
    18 years ago

cracking up here @ Paris Hilton. Wouldn't you like to have the landscape budget of the Biltmore Estate to work with?

I admit, I lack the thrift and the patience. And about the only thing I trust out there is that tomorrow will bring a whole new set of tasks to deal with.

• shari1332
    18 years ago

I like this one.

"Throw all preconceived notions out the window, plant wildly, laugh at the failures, and smugly savor the successes."

Dan Hinkly, "The Explorer's Garden: Rare and Unusual Plants",1999

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

Hey, Shari, I really needed that one with my hollyhock crisis! Thanks.

My mom gardened practically in the Atlantic Ocean on a dune. A good Nor'easter would wipe everything out, but she would always start over.

peace, claire in sanford

• nberg7
    18 years ago

That's a good quote too! Here's my life application to that quote...

Throw all nursery receipts out the window, laugh wildly, plant the failures and savor the basil.

• mrsboomernc
    Original Author
    18 years ago

most excellent advice for a joyful gardening life.
    marsha

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

Not as happy-go-lucky or optimisitic perhaps, but true!
    "Nor do I believe what old-timey people say, that flowers grow for those who love them. On the contrary, I believe that gazing upon them too fondly and too intently is the death of many."
    Elizabeth Lawrence, A Southern Garden

• Claire Pickett
    18 years ago

Killing with kindness? May be so. I know that when I want something too much and strive too hard, it fails me...e.g. lavender.

• shari1332
    18 years ago

Makes me think of the "Suicidal Gardenia" thread. The most hilarious thing I've read on this site for sure. If you haven't read it- do a search of the entire forum for Gardenia and you'll probably find it.

• aisgecko
    18 years ago

I have to look that "suicidal gardenia" up. Great quote and boy was she ever right! I think I have killed many things by high expectations. I guess I put too much pressure on them ;) -Ais.

• aisgecko
    18 years ago

here it is. and it IS a laugh riot!

Here is a link that might be useful: suicidal gardenia

• nberg7
    18 years ago

So, should we be passive aggressive toward these flowers we love so much? If it meant I could line my fence with gardenias or get these ES hydrandgeas to do something, I'd sign up now. Five pounds of coffee huh? I actually did put coffee grounds on some azaleas last year that hadn't bloomed in long while, and they bloomed for me.

• granite
    18 years ago

ok, how about this garden quote (by the way, you have to sing it, same tune as the Marine's Hymn "From the Halls of Montezuma"):

From the ants in our petunia beds
    to the crabgrass in our lawns,
    We will fight them off with chemicals
    till the bugs and weeds are gone,
    We'll use quarts and quarts of poison spray
    and we won't stop till we're through,
    All the bugs and weeds are dying now
    but the plants and trees are too.
    (MAD magazine, circa 1976)

:-)
    Yes, I am an organic gardener.