SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nana2_gw

Bud Wilt on Patio Clematis

Nana2
18 years ago

My Raymond Evison Patio Clematis has been going wild this year and looking very lush, healthy and full of buds. We have had an extended period of rain (well over a week), very little sun, and cooler than normal temperatures. When the storms have been severe, I have moved it into an outbuilding with a skylight and kept the door open. Last night we had hail and torrential downpours, so I moved it into the building for the night. Early this morning when I moved it outside, it looked as good as ever.

I was gone most of the day, and we had a couple of short periods of heavy rain. When I checked the Clematis, initially it looked just fine, but when I circled the container, I noticed that there were about a half dozen large buds hanging limp. They are all the about the same size, and each is the last bud on that vine. Leaves and buds lower on the vine look fine. Larger buds in the same area (different vines) look fine....

Have seen Clematis wilt, and it doesn't appear to be that, but I could be wrong. Leaves right below the wilted buds are bright and beautiful and only the last bud is wilted.

Also, the buds which are wilted are on new growth. However, there are dozens of other buds on new growth which are looking great. I am perplexed.

The container has very good drainage, but there has been so much rain, I have been concerned. Could too much water cause bud wilt? And only affect the new growth?

Also, while there has been so much rain, the container is about 3 feet deep....and I really don't know if there has been enough rain to penetrate to the bottom or just keep the top few inches saturated.

If they don't recover, would it be best to just nip the wilted buds off, or should I nip out the whole vine? The plant is so full, you wouldn't even notice they had been removed.

My main concern is that whatever is going on will spread to the rest of the plant.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Elaine

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting