SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
creative_garden

Advice on gardening and plants in the Carolinas please.

creative.garden
15 years ago

Hi,

I've lived all of my life up in the northern US (where we have 6 months of snowy winter and frozen solid lakes).

I'm dropping a post here in the Carolina forum as I may be moving to the southern area of the North Carolina coast. I'm thrilled to say the least that I may no longer have to limit my gardens to zone 3/4 or below. I'm not, however, really familiar with the what the possibilities are down there. Are there any plants that are must-haves in you opinion? (I garden flowers, herbs, and sometimes veggies - seems like I just like to collect plants sometimes. ;) ). I was told that Creeping Myrtle is a must.

One thing I was curious about... Venomous snakes are pretty rare around here (just one variety of rattle snake and no one I know has ever seen one), where you seem to have a pretty large selection. Is that a big problem/hazard down there for gardeners? (i.e. do you run into them often while you're weeding, etc?)

I'd love to hear your $.02 on these. (And please chime in if there is anything else that might be helpful to a newcomer.)

Thanks

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals