SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kirstenl

Need help with paint color for walls

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
I seem to be redecorating my guest room. How does that happen when you aren't planning it? It is a nice size, apx. 11.5' x 12.5, but it has one small window in the corner. Add to that the dark wood trim, chair rail and 2 closet doors and it feels dark! I want a fresh paint color that will help brighten things up. I am also open to suggestion for decorating the walls. What is up now is just what was up since we moved.

Comments (23)

• 11 years ago
    I think a soft blue would bring out the blue in the comforter. Maybe a darker blue on the bottom. Get rid of the pillows or recover with softer colors that are in the comforter. Recover the chair in a stripe of matching color. Frameless Oval mirror over the dresser and four small prints over the bed. Just for starters, don't know how far you want to go.
  • 11 years ago
    Whoops !!! Forgot the window. Get rid of the curtains. Semi sheer panels will make the room brighter.
  • Related Discussions

kitchen paint color help

Q

Comments (5)
    If that counter has as much green as it looks like in the photo, how about a red or orange? You'll get a pop from complementary colors - the ones just opposite of the color you start with. Here's a fun page. Click on "complement" at the top and then move the dots around the color wheel to look for suggestions. Here is a link that might be useful: Color Scheme Designer 3
    ...See More

Need help choosing a PAINT COLOR for walls!

Q

Comments (35)
    How terrible, Mdln, and traumatic. I'm so, so sorry about your pets. I can see how such an event can make a usually enjoyable project emotionally challenging. If your house is an open plan then I think kwsl is right, that segueing color from room to room is an issue. But if it isn't, if you've got individual rooms, such as bedrooms, I think a fine option is to select colors based on how you want to feel when in each room. So library, warm and cozy and relaxed and maybe even intellectual! (lol), which is why I like the Weathersfield Moss. I love blue for bedrooms. Something about waking up in a blue room..maybe it's like the sky? Or the sea. Bright and cheery in laundry rooms, i.e.: working rooms, breakfast nooks…that sort of thing. I love saturated color in kitchens as well because they have so little wall area that it's a great opportunity to use bold color without overpowering….
    ...See More

Surf Green Granite with Oak Cabinets need HELP with paint

Q

Comments (26)
    Jhmarie thanks for confirming my thought on a warmer look, that's what I'm after and why I like the warm tone of November rain, especially with all the sun the kitchen gets. On that line of warmer beige's, do you have any suggestions for a beige with some richness, not too gold, yellow or brown. There's a good amount of gray in the countertop. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you for your thoughts.
    ...See More

Kitchen. Need help with paint color for walls in kitchen.

Q

Comments (4)
    You could take the tile to Benjamin Moore and let them use a color meter/detector/scanner to read the color of the spot on the tile you want to match and either custom-blend something for you or point you to the nearest match. Always get a test pint and paint it on a large board or sheet of something or the wall itself before purchasing the gallons. The sheen can make a big difference in appearance of the color. I recently did a couple of rooms in Benjamin Moore's Aura paint from the Affinity collection in satin sheen, and it was initially a little more reflective than I had wanted, but I love it now, and it's very easy to clean if needed. Aura is the most water-resistant of the paints and good for kitchen areas.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think a lovely pale yellow would look great and make the room look nice and sunny with that great window. Blues and sages also look great in a room - make sure you choose a sophisticated blue and not a baby blue with can lend itself to be a bathroom color.
  • 11 years ago
    Sherwin Williams Butter Up will warm the room up but paint it above the chair rail. I would use a darker shade under the rail. This will bring out the yellowsh gold tones in your bedding.I would move your current patterned frames and separate thim by hanging them on each side of your window. I would hang the prints you currently have near the window over your headboard and I would put your white pillows in front of the shams and fold your comforter half way down and lay the decorative pillows over your white pillows. Add matching night stands with med size table lamps. Just my opinion.
  • 11 years ago
    Also get rid of the ceiling fan and put a pretty chandelier with some bling.
  • 11 years ago
    I would opt for the teal or green color so the furniture will pop. And make it a strong mid range tone. Can you rearrange the bed so that it is opposite the window? I would def. take down all art work, too busy with the comforter. I like the idea of two end tables and the lamps, you could also do a pop of color on the lamp bases. Nice white trim or cream and a new ceiling failing, more modern and simple.
  • 11 years ago
    My best suggestions would be a mirror over the bed to reflect the light from the window and a lamp in place of your chair.
  • 11 years ago
    How about a shade of SAGE GREEN on the walls. The room seems cold. Not inviting at all. There are too many patterns fighting for attention. Keep the red bed pillow, I like it. buy 2 pillow shams and a bed skirt in a red to match the solid red pillow. Cover the chair with a solid color chair cover or remove the chair from the room. Add a night stand of some kind ( wood tone) on each side of the bed with a lamp on each side to ground and balance out the room. Remove the white headboard altogether even if you dont have another one to replace it. And yes, a mirror over the dresser.and Artwork over the bed in colors that are in the artwork on the wall by the window( I love these pictures). How about a narrow ledge or shelf the width of the bed to put the two picture on that are beside the window. The sage green walls will warm up the room for sure. You can get curtains in sage or red color like the pillow.
  • 11 years ago
    I'd find a blue slightly lighter then in the bedspread for below the chair rail, then even lighter for above the chair rail, and an almost white version for the ceiling. I think your white furniture and everything else will work with a background of color, and the entire room will feel more inviting.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I would paint the walls a subtle blue /grey or putty color that allows the bed to pop, or go with new bedding that is a deeper variant of the wall color but rich in texture with interesting pillows in similar colors. I would also remove the many things from the wall and consider a flat roman shade. 2 matching night tables and lamps. Move dresser to another wall if you can. Botanical prints (a series) would look simple and pretty over bed. Remove floor lamp and chair. Less furniture, soothing colors, inviting/interesting bed. Can dresser be moved opposite bed?
  • 11 years ago
    HI -- That is a great bedding set to get colors from . First thing is remove or paint over the wainscotting trim . I prefer it removed . Pick three colors from the fabric, one the most suttle then the next two you like . Get the color cards for those shades from the paint store (Benjamin Moore Paint) place them on the fabric and see which one you like best for the walls. Put the lightest of one of the other colors for the ceiling or a lighter shade of the wallcolor. The furniture is best the way you have it now . I would also paint one of the stronger fabric colors on the head board or get a bigger head board . If you use the headboard you have it has to be made taller. Now lots of white pillows and white drapes for side panels hung beyond the sides of the window with a room darkening pull down blind under. Or have the drapes fill that wall top to bottom ( 1/2 inch above floor) and side to side. Have two side tables with white lamps . Rethink the ceiling fan and the art and the darker colored little pillows . Don't froget to paint the vents the same as the wall color and even the window frame . Don't forget a throw for across the end of the bed. Maybe crown molding and maybe bigger base boards is up to you . Depends on how much you want to do. Move the chair and maybe the floor lamp near the window corner and have a nice big fancy mirror over the dresser.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think this is good for a Guest , why not just Paint the Headboard frame of the bed a light Blue .
  • 11 years ago
    Hi, please get rid of the chair rail, it make the room smaller. You can paint one color over the wall and chair rail to, if you can't remove it. I would paint the room some cool colors, from the lighter colors in the bed spread. Have the paint shop match the color, but tell them to make it slightly lighter. Then find some solid color pillows in the shades of the walls and some white or off white with one pillow in the wine color. Keep the bench in th wine color. Maybe some white shades for the windows.
    There You go!
  • 11 years ago
    I agree with everything Nanett said.
  • 11 years ago
    I think the chair rail needs to go or at least paint it the same color. A nice blue-green pulled from the spread. Could you move that bench to the foot of the bed? I would try moving the lamp to the other side of the room and add a nice lamp to the night stand. I agree the dresser needs a mirror. Linen on the windows for sure!
  • 11 years ago
    I like your bed cover and, if it's good quality, would use that as my starting point. It's so pretty but I suggest removing the shams as it all becomes quite matchy and can tend to look mass-produced. I find the room a bit bland which doesn't capitalize on the pretty bed cover. I really like the blue in your cover but, given the room is a bit dark, you may wish to capture the yellow/green in your cover on your walls - a very restful colour. I would remove or paint out the chair rail as I find that a dated look. Your ceiling appears to be textured which automatically makes it appear darker (creates shadows). Whatever color you use on your walls, use at least a couple of shades lighter on your ceiling. I suggest adding a dust ruffle emphasizing the yellow/green (but not a floral - maybe a subtle stripe or small check) and perhaps using the same fabric in a couple of cushions or drapes. I would replace your curtains with drapes on rods that extend beyond the sides of the window so the drapes come just to the edge of the window. That will make the window seem larger and will permit maximum light to enter. I suggest removing the blind - even though it's open, it still blocks some light. Your little table at the foot of the bed might make a nice bedside table and would be more substantial than the current table. I don't know if there's room for a 2nd table. I tend to like fewer, but larger, pieces of art. Your floor lamp seems too small for this location. Table lamps or wall sconces would add much needed light and guests appreciate them for reading. A mirror (with a substantial frame but not matching the dresser) over your dresser would reflect the light from the window, also increasing the light in the room. You can decide on the colour of furniture after you've made these changes - I'm liking painted furniture these days. I like tall headboards - if you don't want to replace yours, it would be good if you can make it taller. I'm not fond of ceiling fans but appreciate that you may need it for air circulation. It would be better if it was less obtrusive. If you don't wish to replace it with one having a lower profile, you should check the blades to see if they can be turned over - they often have a lighter colour on the other side. Alternatively, you could paint them. If you do, I suggest also painting the dark knob in the middle. I agree with moving the bench (it's in the way) and the chair (in its current location, will only be used for clothes). The bench would look nice at the foot of the bed but only if you have plenty of room (ideally, you will want to re-cover it and paint the base). As a guest, I always appreciate having a place to sit so I suggest finding a place elsewhere for the chair. Have fun!
  • 11 years ago
    I would do a accent wall on the wall the bed is against to make a pop. i would do that red color that is in the bed spread.
  • 11 years ago
    I'm going to suggest a different arrangement for the furniture. I would place the head of the bed on the same wall as the window, then the bench should fit at the bottom of the bed, nearer to the dresser.
    Next, place the console table (writing desk?) under the window. Then the chair could be used with the writing table and the table can act as a nightstand, if close enough. Then I would put some nice stationery in the desk so that your guests have a lovely, bright place to write their notes of thanks for your hospitality ;-). Then, if there is room, I would add a folding suitcase rack, possibly where the console table is currently. (My last guest left a lovely black streak across my wall after she tried to move her suitcase from the floor to the bed.)
    As for decor, there are many excellent suggestions above. I would add: I don't think the fabric on the chair needs to be changed but I would take the beige pillow off it. I echo the need for a darker/more colourful and/or patterned bedskirt, as someone mentioned above. But I think I would look for something flat or with a box pleat as opposed to frilly. A frill may make it seem grandma-ish. (Nothing wrong with grandmas; I love mine dearly, but I'm not crazy about her decor.)
    PS lovely bedspread and lots of great colours in it to play with. Have fun!
  • 11 years ago
    I agree with cprmt about the furniture arrangement. I like this idea of the blue's on the wall, lighter on the top. The chair rail and window can be painted out white. Add some blue pillows to the bed and a white. I like the pops of red/crimson. White sheers for the windows or roman shades. You can pull so many colors from your comforter, its a good start!!!
  • 11 years ago
    I would also remove the chair rail and consider putting up crown molding to add some architectural interest.
    A warm tan/taupe on the walls pulled from a shade in the comforter. Get a nice, thick white comforter and use your floral at folded at foot of bed. K
    Consider getting/ making a padded headboard. Nice and tall. Maybe with an interesting curve as the focal point of the wall.
    White curtains hung closer to ceiling with some textural blinds (bamboo?) would set off the window.
    Use your existing shams and pull out the blues from them for some throw pillows.
    I like the chair. Get some nice side tables ( similar in size but don't have to match.
    Multiple botanical prints (6?) in matching white frames would fill up the other wall.
  • 11 years ago
    Here is an update.

I tried many colors for the walls; oranges, blues and greens. I ended up with what most people would call asparagus. My guests say it makes the room warm and cozy. It is not a bright room to begin with, so going this direction seems to work.

The biggest difference was rearranging the furniture. I cannot believe how different configuration can change the feel of a room!

The long wall with the two prints bothers me. I want to use the prints, though, they just seem to fit the feel. The mirror wall needs some help, too. Over time I am sure I will find the right answer.

Thanks for all the ideas. I am still open to suggestions.
  • 11 years ago
    I would group the two small prints with the mirror leaving the long wall bare.

Personally, I love green for a bedroom.