SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
intelinside1

Succulent Watering tips for Los Angeles Climate

intelinside1
10 years ago

Hi I'm kinda new to succulents. Well I've had some in the garden and pots that I've just neglected- lots of varieties of Jade, Aloe, Yucca etc. Recently become obsessed with them.

Anyways I had some questions about watering (cuttings versus established plants) in my climate and during different seasons.

I live in San Pedro which is part of coastal Los Angeles so I believe my hardiness Zone is between 9-10?

During the summer I was wondering how much to water established succulents in pots and also in the ground? We have a heat streak and it's been around 83-89 F degrees the past few days

Also what do you recommend as far as shade and watering for cuttings versus estalished plants?

How long do you water cuttings differently ten regular plants?

I recently acquired a lot of cuttings from a neighbor who was moving and he was tearing his plants from his home before he moved haha! I got tons of cuttines of sedum, jade, agave, aloe, aoeniums, echeveria and so many more! I let them dry between 2-10 days and have been potting them in soil. The soil I used is 2 part potting soil, 2 part sand/perlite 1 part small gravel

I expect to be posting here A LOT. I love this forum and am absolutely fascinated by succulents. I've been finding a lot of neighbors just trimming them and throwing them on the side and I can easily get cuttings. It's good to be in Southern California when you love succulents!

Attached is an example of one of my cutting gardens. It has a agave, aeonium, some jade, and sedum varieties.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (8)