SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
birdpup

Can my 40 foot orange tree be saved???

birdpup
18 years ago

im in southern california moved into a new house about 2 1/2 years ago with a 40 foot mature beautiful orange tree. I am/was totally unaware of citrus care and assumed my gardners would alert me if anything was going wrong. I did a # of bad things (obviously at the time i didnt know all this was wrong!)....grew grass under the tree, did not fertilize, pruned myself, didnt pay attention to the tree except admire the beautiful tree, blossoms, &oranges.

A few months ago, the leaves started turning yellow, then eventually they all turned yellow and fell off. there are still some oranges on the tree, no leaves tho. the little branches at the ends of the tree look all dead and brittle. again, i pruned myself and started cutting off the little dead branches. there has been no new growth, but when pruning, there are still branches that seem to be alive, as well as dead ones. I asked my gardener and he said it was overwatered, I stopped watering the tree (about 2 weeks) but it has been raining here a bit more than usual. I also put some citrus fertilizer sticks in the ground. My tree looks dead, but i dont know anything about Citrus. I asked an online Arborist and he said that since all the leaves have fallen off, its prob too late to save. I hope thats not the case, i LOVE this tree and want to keep it, save it! i feel so guilty---Any advice would help- please help me save this beautiful tree!!!!

Comments (7)