SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thepollywogpond

Can I save my tree?

c2g
13 years ago

I started a project of waterproofing my basement from the outside on 12/20. A 2' wide trench was dug around my house down to the base of the foundation, and I had to dig up a sweetbay magnolia (approx 2.5' root ball) that I had planted 2 months earlier (b&b). At the time I dug it up, I was assured it would only need to be out of the ground for about 3 days or so. Not having any mulch and needing it out that day to keep the project moving, I laid out next to it a tarp, an old comforter, and a canvas drop cloth, dug out the tree, wrapped it in those 3 layers, and tied it at the root flare.

2+ months later, the majority of which had snow on the ground, my tree is still out of the ground and I'm still working on getting the excavation filled (the contractor has since been fired).

This week, I have to dig out all the dirt the contractor just shoveled in and put it back in, tamping it every 6 inches (the contractor figured he could just shovel everything back in and tamp 6 feet of dirt with a hand tamper). By this weekend, I will be able to re-plant the tree. My question is, is it still alive? I haven't unwrapped it, and don't know what to look for in the roots. Last year's new growth, which had remained green at the time of the dig, is now green and black. I'll take some pics if there's anything that could help in the prognosis, but any thoughts in the meantime?

Comments (22)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH