SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammy_kennedy

what do you make of this?

13 years ago

I'm flummoxed. I have an asian pear tree a grafted one with a couple varieties. The thing is, we've had fruit about 5 years now, and it's fairly easy to take care of. Watch for fireblight in spring, and if we get to it, spray to keep the bugs from deforming the fruit. Even deformed, it's edible and yummy. About 8-9' tall. We've never had an issue with anything except the occasional bugs getting into it. It's been a week or 3 since i'd looked closely at it and i didn't think they were ripe yet, but asians are sweet before they are all the way ripe. I was just out there and something or someone took every last fruit. There are no dropped fruits- this is not storm damage, and the iris that are planted beneath it look like something's stepped on them. Not hoof marks, like deer did it- and anyway most of the fruit would have been beyond their reach. No stems or cores left, as if a bird had done it. I need to look closer to see if it looks like the stems were twisted or cut off. When the squirrels get into my patio nectarine, they take one bite but don't eat the whole fruit usually, and when they do, they leave the pits. Would a coon, possum or squirrel take every last fruit neatly like that? It's been a week or 2 since i'd looked before and i didn't think they were ripe yet, but asians are sweet before they are all the way ripe. I'd chalk it up to animals, but this is like the 3rd thing that has wholesale disappeared out of my garden in the past month- which makes me strongly wonder if it's a 2 legged thief. For the last bush of blueberries (late crop) the same thing happened- there one day, gone the next- and i chalked that up to birds. Then our ripe figs disappeared the same way (we only had a few). Usually if birds do that they leave the base- these were just gone. At the same time, nothing has touched what few maters i have. Any thoughts? I sure don't want whatever it is getting my persimmons. I'll happily share the keiffer pears, kiwi and pineapple guava but i swear all heck's breaking loose if the persimmons or pomegranate get gone. If you think it's critters, what would deter them from stealing fruit? I can maybe net the persimmon, or the indy fruit, but that's really the only one left i can do that with.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting