SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wolfen_gw

Another cutting question...

wolfen
15 years ago

Over the past month and more, I purchased cuttings from a great seller on e-bay. I am NOT complaning about anything there, but want some advice on starting what seems to be "hard to do cuttings", for me, anyway.

I can not seem to get "Catalonia", "Madeline", "Fl.Pink Panther", or a "Tiara cross" to take..

This is definatly NOT the sellers fault,

These cuttings have either rotted from the bottom up- in water, or from the top down- in soil.

Am I giving them too much light? Not enough? Too warm or too cool temps ? Sould cuttings be kept out of the light untill rooted ???

I have had 3 sets of "Catalonia" sent, and out of 12 cuttings, only one looks like it MAY be fine, planted in soil with RH.. The Madeline is fine under the 2 inches of water, but has shriveled from the top down. (Something "I" have only experienced in soil.) Fl. Pink has rotted and shriveled both, and the Tiara cross just kept rotting from the bottom , and I kept cutting back till nothings left. I cut to firmness and did not leave any softness, cutters disenfected between cuttings, always.

I have even planted a Catalonia in soil with a baggie over the pot-(styrofoam cups with drainage holes in the bottom), and one with out the baggie. The one without the baggie is holding on.

The other cuttings I have are doing great, nice roots and leaves. Some were started the very same day and time as the ones I am having trouble with, one would be right next to the other. One would do well, the other type would refuse to do anything but fail.

I cut off the soft rotted parts, and return them to a NEW clean cup with clean water. I do change the water every other day with water that has set out for more than 24 hours, no chlorine, and room temp. The cuttings are on the kitchen counter under a florescent light with good air circulation. I have just read about putting rooting hormone on the cuttings reagrdless of soil or water method- and I THANK YOU !!

Can anyone give any more suggestions ??

Thanks so much,

Sandra

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County