SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

another zinnia question - cut length?

I've been growing zinnias for cutting for about three or four years now.

Just curious as to how tall folks cut their zinnias, and in doing so, how many buds do you sacrifice to get the longer stems?

Last year, I started making my bouquets taller than they had been. Several reasons for this - perennial plants are getting established and bigger, I've been growing some taller flowers - glads and lilies - and I guess just cutting stems longer than I had been.

My zinnias, like many other people's this year, did not do well and had a late start, but are blooming now. However, now that I'm cutting them, they seem short. I don't know if it's because they ARE shorter this year, or if I'm getting used to cutting longer stems, or a combination of the two.

I'm terrible at sacrificing buds - getting better with the dahlias but still having a hard time with the zinnias (and especially chinese asters!). I usually cut my zinnias about twelve inches, but they are looking awfully short next to the sunflowers, glads, lilies, etc.

So what is a good length to cut them? And someone please promise me the plants will put out more buds when I cut them all off, lol!

:)

Dee

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH