SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flucky07

Gritty mix and fertilizer questions

Flucky07
13 years ago

I just made a batch of gritty mix using repti bark, granigrit, and floor dry number 8822. The mixing went okay and did my best to sift out the small particles but didnt have any screen. I repotted from regular soil to the gritty mix, a meyer lemon, ruby grapefruit, and clementine. They have so many flowers on its rediculous (haha).

1. Do you guys suggest removing the flowers and small fruit?

2. I want to do the foliage pro fertilizer but dont have any yet, local nursery didnt have it. Are my plants okay in the new gritty mix for a couple days or should I not fertilize for a couple weeks, or fertilize right away?

3. The plants seem a little wilted but to be expected. I did my best to loosen up the roots and remove the dirt from them. Is it essential to get all the dirt off of the roots?

4. I have blueberry bushes in pots as well as a dwarf peach tree, and 2 dwarf macintosh apple trees, would it be a good idea to use the gritty mix for these as well or leave them be? Right now the blueberries are in a pure pine bark and the others are in regular soil. They are all about 2.5 years old.

I much appreciate your answers and any comments to help me out. I have one more citrus plant to repot a ponderosa lemon but I want to make sure everything i am doing is okay before doing any other plants?

Thanks and I love this forum and Al's advise is great!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH