SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
givelittle_getlots

My Delta Dawn had SB

givelittle_getlots
15 years ago

Good morning my friends.

With sadness I am posting this. I am amongst other DD owners that had to destroy their DD because it came down with SB..for newbies..Strangelbrand or Stem blight in english.

One I have found about DD googeling I add the link so you can go see.

The reason I am posting this has many.

First if you are a recipient of my plants...I reasure you AGAIN that those where far away from the DD. Since I DO isolate every new brug that comes to the house, from the old onces. They basically stay that way until they are mature enough to go in their permanent place. Then what I realized this morning was, that DD did not show any signs of SB until AFTER I had send out the plants already. Which all looked and were very healthy. So are the motherplants still. DD went into quarantine as soon as I saw the first funny lucking spots. So the only once that COULD have gotten it also, are the other plants that came with that shippment. I destroyed everything along with DD. Pot, soil...stakes, Gloves.

I would not know how to handle it if I had send out the virus unknowingly. But all I want everybody to know is that I had it and to just watch the plants. I already send everybody mails. Please keep me informed should something happen. God forbid it will :-(

But I also find it very important to give heads up on DD owners. Or would be owners. From days of research now I have found out that this one is very prone to getting SB. So keep a GOOD eye on your DD!!

Last but not least, this SB took all my joy, fun and happiness away for the time being. There is no way I can share anything this time around. I am scared to death that something would go wrong. You will not believe the things that can happen. A virus can break out of a healthy plant that carries the genes for it, just by the shipping enviorment. So I will not be able to keep my promise and send out the cuttings to those that I said I would. I know you understand. I will write you e mails too later on. There is just so much to do.

I have learned yet a lot more about SB then I wanted to know. But had to. One thing I will never do and I hope you all who share and trade and buy remember that please. If you recieve a healthy plant or cutting and later on it comes down with a virus or SB or what have you. It really is not the Senders fault. Best think you can do is let that person know imediately´so they can check their brugs.

I hope I did not forget anything or expressed myself in a way that you understand what I am trying to say.

e mail me PLEASE if you don't. I answer as soon as I see it.

Have a blessed day

Lucy

http://blog.fredsommer.com/SommerGardens/brugmansia/

scroll down...there you see his DD entry

So you see it goes years back and the search on it shows over and over again that DD comes down with SB.

Comments (30)

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear that Lucy. I was so worried after I found the two infected with SB earlier this year. It doesn't appear to have spread to any of my other plants and the infected ones were in a different part of the yard. I hope yours are alright as well.

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Karyn. Now I know what it feels like but I am also confident that it was just a single plant that had to leave my collection. Like I read, yes it can hit you. But it does not have to frighten you to death. You go through a stage of fright and worries for a while. I am sure. But as long as you keep up your precaussion and isolate new brugs and cuttings ...you will be ok. The lesson is to always inspect your brugs. The earlier you catch anything wrong with it...the better.

I think now the only one I owe postage back for not being able to send my side of a trade is you Theresa...I will correct that here real soon ok. Sorry I had such nice plants for ya :-(

Lucy

• Related Discussions

Photos of my gardens and special daylilies

Q

Comments (21)
    Hi Flowergirl, In the first landscape photo, I have Night Embers. I love doubles and would be happy to share more photos and information about them. Night Embers (not the fullest double but always pretty): Siloam Peony Display (blooms late and is a very full double Dip): Gemini Jack (often not very full until late in the season): Amy Michelle (an early full double Dip): Be Different (on the short side, but really pretty Dip double): Delta's Dream (One of my favorite Dip doubles): Holiday Party (in my favorite top ten doubles): Isabell Maraffi (this one can put on a great show): King Kahuna (on the short side, but very nice Dip double): Siloam Yeger's Anniversary (very ruffled Dip double): Siloam Double Fringe (my tallest Siloam double): Orange Fizz (talk about a fun one!)
    ...See More

Hosta "Delta Dawn"

Q

Comments (18)
    The plant in question is Delta Dawn. Thanks a bunch for the feedback on exposure. I will be finding a nice spot in the sun for this one. It is one of my favorites. The margins on my plant are very nice and a bit wider than most pics I have seen. Not sure if it is variation due to TC or due to growing conditions or maybe it is a more mature plant??? I bought it from a local specialty nursery. It drew my attention from about a half acre away. So much for the 10 foot rule! My camera takes pictures very true to what the eye sees so that may help make it look pretty in the picture as well. I have Sunshine glory as well and is planted in a lot of sun and was what gave me the idea of putting DD in some sun. Here is my first year Sunshine glory from Naylor Creek. It has already doubled in size and starting to throw out nicely margined leaves.. And a bit closer... M
    ...See More

Delta Faucets

Q

Comments (4)
    Knowing you Bus I'm sure you're using actual Delta OEM replacement parts cause the Asian knock-offs the big box stores are forcing us to buy don't work near as well or as long. I did have a bout of leaking Delta faucets a couple years ago that came out of the blue. After new cups, springs, and a cartridge in three faucets it dawned on me to check the water pressure. Sure enough, my thermal expansion tank had failed and the the unmitigated thermal expansion was causing the faucet problems. Now, I just keep this gauge with the tattletale needle screwed on a hose bib near the water heater.
    ...See More

Who makes the Best Soap Dispenser - I Ripped out my Grohe Tonight

Q

Comments (32)
    Is it me, is it the soap....sigh ;-/ So after so many +++ feedback about this thing Again, I went ahead and DIY on both the Kohler AS well as my previous older Grohe. The Kohler was okay after getting it primed but soap would not come out ~fluid-smooth~ but in spurts. The Grohe took forever to get primed and after doing so, it seemed to viscious for the setup. I suppose the soap can be the root problem ....but I like this soap for handsoap .
    ...See More
  • wildflower
    15 years ago

I'm so sorry Lucy. Do you have any pics of what you were seeing? There seems to be so little info on the web about SB that I'm not even sure what I'm looking at. I was hacking brugs yesterday and I think both of my Tropical Sunsets may have it... But I don't know this for sure... I was getting boxes ready to send when I saw it so needless to say no one that I promised that one to is getting it. I inspected all the other cuttings carefully and they look fine to me but I sure would suggest that anybody getting anything from me should keep them isolated for a while!! This happened to me last year also... Sent off some Ambrosia to several people and it turned out to have something wrong with it (not sure if it was SB or what). But it looked really bad so I ended up having to trash mine. Sure makes you feel terrible when something happens with cuttings we've sent out. But remember it's not your fault...

• chena
    15 years ago

Lucy!!! Thank You for just letting people know there could be a problem.. I am sooo sorry to hear you lost your DD.. This is the one I ran over with the lawn mower.. I may have an extra cutting I can replace yours with..LOL
    I have one (not DD) right now that has been moved out becoz of a funky spot.. I have gotten conflicting opinions so.. haven't burned it just yet..

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

follow the link I added. It shows you one good excample. In different stages of SB it looks different. I found the best link about SB on DAve's Garden. There you can see the most on how it can look. If it was just me that came down with SB on DD I would have said..let me ask somebody just to be sure. Like I always do. But this is a sure thing.
    Like so many postings here on GW say years back...there is still not lots of good information available on the internet for non paying members to this or that site. Glad I spread my money wisely rofl

Hope you do not have it...can YOU post some pictures maybe?

Lucy

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maybe it was faith that made you run over your DD lol It is ok. Second , third day are not as bad anymore. Especially if you have friends like you are.
    Do you want me to post your picture in the german forum were Monika is? I know she is also in Dave's GArden. I can post it both places if you are not a member there. I think the sooner one can find out if it is SB or harmless..the better. And this is very important ...that you do move it away from your collection until you know

Lucy

oh and by the way...I feel anything but a newbie anymore..this has added YEARS and years lol

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

Kylie, you ran over Day Dreams, she is calling DD Delta Dawn. So sorry Lucy.

• wildflower
    15 years ago

Pics of Ambrosia that I posted here last year
    {{gwi:566579}}

{{gwi:566580}}

My Tropical Sunset doesn't look nearly this bad but does have some spots that look a little strange and I feel might could turn into this over time.

I trashed this one last year and dug up and trashed the one that was inground. Everyone here said that was what they'd do with it. Then I did get a couple of e-mails from people telling me they didn't think it was SB (because there were no black spots), but it was too late, I'd already trashed it and wouldn't want whatever it was causing problems with my other plants anyway.

If anybody has any new info about SB other than what was around this time last year I'd love it if you'd post links. I havn't had time to search the net and gotta go get the rest of these plants put somewhere. Looks like frost tonight and freezing temps tomorrow night here.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Here's a link to pics of my infected plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: SB

• wildflower
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link Karyn. The pics that you and Theresa posted seem a little different than what I'm seeing here. But the link that Edna posted has a couple of pics that look closer to what I've seen (the "cracking" on the stems). Maybe mine is just in a different stage of it or something? But I've never seen the black at all- on my Ambrosia last year or the TS's this year. And both of yours seem to show the black immediatly without all the other funky-looking stuff. Well whatever is up with mine I DON'T WANT IT!!! Geeze, between this stuff and the broadmites I just dunno....

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

I think you should email JT and let him know since thats where you got it from so he can check his plants just in case. Whether that is whats wrong or not better safe than sorry since he has so many.

• plantlover49
    15 years ago

Lucy
    that is really sad. what does the DD look like. look at my pic's see if there is anyting I have that is close to DD in color I might be able to help you out let me know Elizabeth

• rhensley130755
    15 years ago

wildflower and karen,
    Those pictures you guys posted look just like my Daybreak. Now I am really destressed because it is one of my favorites. It is really the only plant that has blooms that are a true YELLOW. My Mom is 82 and her favorite bloom color is yellow. I promised her one next year, but the plant has always had brown spots on its trunk and grown poorly. Does anyone know of a source of healthy Daybreak plants? or another variety that is really a true yellow? All my yellows eventually turn orange, even the new Heloise which is described as a true yellow. NOT!
    Thanks, Roy

• neonposey
    15 years ago

Lucy - I'm glad you're feeling better about this. I know how upset you've been, but I hope it makes you feel better to know that others have had the same experiences. The truth is that any of our plants can develop all kinds of crud at any time, so I think just being responsible about it and taking care of the problem to the best of your ability is all any of us can ask of each other. I just wish there was more information about SB for all of us. Karyn, I remember when you had it we were wondering if the broad mites had anything to do with it because they had been so horrible this year. Still makes me wonder.... I sure it hope it wasn't JT's Murphy's Oil soap dip!!

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I posted this reply on the wrong thread, my old thread from the summer. Sorry didn't mean to bring that post back. lol

I have a post somewhere with pics at an even earlier stage. The first sign was a very small black ring that quickly increased in size with the tissue inside the ring taking on that funky appearance. As the diseased tissue expands the dark ring becomes less noticeable.

• gottahosta
    15 years ago

I want anyone I sent Delta Dawn to to trash it. I contacted Lucy over the weekend, to let her know my DD had SB, and ............ had I sent it to her in her newbie package?? My plant came from the Florala RU this Spring. The owner has been contacted.

Good job, Lucy, doing all the research. We all need to know what it looks like. Strikes terror into your heart when you see it.

Thank God, for looking after me. I practice safe handling in my gardens when I'm taking cuttings and sterilize between varieties. I only took 3-4 cuttings of DD back in August. The plant was slow growing and there was no sign of any problem. I rooted the cuttings in their own pot, and most died/rotted (luckily) but I did send one out to someone and they have destroyed theirs. So maybe one left.
    I just need to know if a newbie got one of these cuttings! Please destroy it. I feel really bad sending out bad cuttings of DD but I don't think I sent out but the one or maybe two, and one is accounted for. When I went to dig the plant on Saturday, it had the bruised looking rings around the stems connecting to the main trunk and around the leaf stems connecting to the trunk. I immediately destroyed it. Dug up the soil. And started looking around for who I may have sent it to.

So sorry, the yellows are especially succeptible that have the sauv. genes- don't know why, but the other one I had with it was Southern Belle and Tequila Sunrise. And my Janet Reno is not looking so hot but it is not SB.

The symptoms came on really fast but I think mine were in the early stages. Once again, I'm so sorry if I sent this cutting to you! Please let me know!

Brenda

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi everyone. I thank you all for not being upset with me. I am glad that everybody is learning through my experience with SB and Karyn and unfortunately Brenda and a few others, that SB excists. Is a sleeping timebomb in especially the yellow brugs. Like I said...what really wakes that deadly virus up...and when...who knows. But once the brug has it. It will never go away. The plant might live a while longer...but it HAS it. So WHY would anybody knowing that they have it for sure. Keep it alive and around unless trying to find a cure. But I am not one of those people smart enough or in that field, to be able to do that.

No that said and thanking everyone for being great friends. I hope you all know that NOBODY I have met and know will ever send out sick plants. I can not stress this enough that nobody is at fault if it happens that a brug gets sick after reaching a new home.

I compared it today to the darn PC viruses attached to emails. You send a e mail. Got virus program and STILL it can happen that a new virus is passed on without you even knowing about it. LIke a invisible sleeping virus...until you click on it.

Could we possibly post a thread in the Galery maybe just for SB pics? and info?

There needs to be more accessable info.

Nobody mailed me yet ....so I guess I did not sound confusing lol.

Lucy

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just got the answer from Monika Gottschalk on your BRug picture. I am so sorry to inform you that there is no doubt that it is SB :-(

Sorry it took so long to find out. I did not know you still needed a answer that is why I imediately ask Monkia for help.

Lucy

• wildflower
    15 years ago

Lucy, are you talking about my brug picture or who's?

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yes yours wildflower

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I think at this point almost all of us that have a lot of brugs have encountered SB recently or will. I have no idea where mine originated and have not seen any sign of it since I disposed of the two infected plants. I don't know if this is true but I've heard that it can lie dormant and will manifest itself during a time of stress. It makes sense because I've never received a brug that had any visible sign of SB. Brenda I'm sorry to hear that you've found it in your collection too.

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

First Wildflower I apologize for not asking you first if you want me or if I can show your picture to Monika. But since you waited for so long to find a answer..I just went ahead. Time just got to me and I hope you forgive me for not asking you first. But I hope now you can go forward and please do not be scared to much. I just hope you had this one away from all of your others so no more losses.

Karyn I think so too that any change is at fault for SB to come out from a dormancy.

Lucy

• wildflower
    15 years ago

Lucy, thank you for sending her the pics and of course that's fine with me. It's good to have a confirmed answer from an expert finally... If anyone wants to use those 2 pics for educational purposes too it's fine with me. Or, if you want to use them to sell on ebay you have my permission. BWAAAAAHAHAHAHA

Roy, I see someone on ebay with Daybreak, but I don't know anything about the seller. Looks like that have 100% feedback though.

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

You just made me crack up with that Michelle. I will let you know what I find out from the other forum. I had posted the pics there as well.

• collielover
    15 years ago

Lucy, reading your post helped me I've been so down about all my brugs with SB

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

I remembered reading on a thread last year on another forum that the corky appearance like Wildflower has is common on some brugs and was not SB. Some think its from too much rain or watering and some think certain ones just look more corky than others. The black ring seems to be the main sign of SB.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

All my Butterfly's have gnarled corky bark on the old growth and they aren't diseased, just ugly stems. lol

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yeah Kristy but if a person like Monika takes a look and positivly identifies it as it being SB. In my mind there is NO question that it is SB. It just looks different in different stages of the SB. For myself I am not taking any risks. If I have to destroy ONE brug because I think it is SB. If I do not get reassurance from a professional. Then I only loose ONE and not my whole collection.
    I am very good with being able to trust my instincts....maybe if anybody comes across a brug that looks like it could have SB or just a bruce or overwatering. Your instincts will let you know too if your brug is unhappy or dying or not. I had NO problem trashing DD. Usually I try to safe everything and let it live. LIke I saved this little butterfly tonight that somehow landed in the birdbath and could not escape by itself anymore.

The worsed thing anybody can do is deny or ignore that it COULD be SB if they see suspicious looking markings on their brug.

hoping all your angels are happy ones :-)

Lucy

• fool4flowers
    15 years ago

I don't doubt you Lucy. I just don't want a bunch of people to throw away a brug before they make sure that is the problem. There seem to be many other things that cause ugly looking problems besides SB and they should be careful just dont want to cause a mass panic, lol. Nite you all.

• givelittle_getlots
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh Kristy I doubt myself all the time. I am way to new to Brugs. It was just in the case of wildflower that it is a SURE thing that it is SB and needs to go. 30 years of growing brugs compared to my first one...who do you believe hahahahahaha
    But you are right. I did the same when Karyn said she had a couple with SB. I paniced when I saw strange spots but it was only caused by sunburn and was gone after I treated it.
    That is why if I have any questions or doubts about my brugs...guess where I go to get answers?
    HERE :-)
    Good moring everybody lol

Kristy are we night and day? lol

Lucy