SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mothernaturejen

How's the soil near Kershaw?

jennijenjen
16 years ago

Hi y'all!

I'm not there yet but we're looking at buying a house around Kershaw or Rock Hill, SC. Our goal is to be more self-sufficient, eventually growing enough to feed all 7 of us. At least 2 acres would be nice.

We plan on raising goats, chickens, and if we have enough land, sheep also. We have yet to taste fresh goat milk but from what I've heard after drinking it for a couple of weeks you won't want anything else.

From what I've browsed on this forum it looks like the soil should be pretty good there (sandy loam) and hopefully not filled with nematodes like Florida. Experience anyone?

minicindy - I'm curious how the country life is going for you since I see you moved there from Florida also.

Ferndottar said "Between the bugs, the deer, the dry spells, it`s a bit hellish. But the country people and other gardeners are as warm as the Southern sun." That sounds like a nice change from South Florida where it's so crowded, neighbors rarely talk to each other, people are so rude everywhere, and it's so hard to make a living!

God-willing, I hope to be seeing y'all up there in the next couple months!

-Jen

Comments (13)