SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bubba62

Visit to Plant Delights Nursery

bubba62
16 years ago

I was fortunate enough to make an overnight trip to Raleigh last weekend, and have to recommend it as one of my favorite (short) vacation destinations for any plant nut. We arrived thursday evening, had dinner at Neomonde (a great Middle Eastern/vegetarian casual restaurant), then went for a stroll at the JC Raulston Arboretum, which was hot, but still a great experience. The major reason for this trip, however, was a friday morning visit to Plant Delights Nursery and Botanical Garden, which is only open for a few weekends each year.

I've been to Longwood, Winterthur, and Biltmore several times, Kew, Harwood Carr, and numerous other gardens, and I love certain things about all of them, but the gardens that Tony Avent has built at PDN continue to be my favorite in terms of biodiversity and applicability to my gardening conditions. I've visited several times over the years, always purchasing WAY too many plants (I hate to even look at the pile of those distinctive little square pots in my shed...it makes me wonder how long ago I could have quit my second job if the place had never existed!). Anyone interested in "gardening on the edge", with emphasis on unusual and marginally hardy plants owes him or herself a visit to this garden and nursery. Touring the gardens (which can take a couple of hours, easily) is a great lesson in creating microclimates to meet the needs of specific plants, the importance of drainage to good gardening, especially in hot, humid climates, and the sheer range of plants that are adaptable to growing in a warm zone 7. I especially recommend a visit in July (although I've been in May and September, when the gardens are also incredible, and totally different), since that gives an opportunity to see what actually thrives in the heat at a time when most gardeners and gardens tend to throw in the towel. The masses of blooming crinums, eucomis, and other summer bulbs alone are worth the four-hour drive, in my opinion. The garden is also a testament to the fact that hostas CAN be grown successfully in the south, contrary to some popular opinion - theirs are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen anywhere.

I don't normally rave about anything, but if I lived closer, I'd be headed back again this weekend (the last of the summer open days). And no, I don't work there, but I sure wish I could. That alone might be enough incentive for me to retire to the triangle area!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida