SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agardenstateof_mind

Where to plant clematis relative to climbing rose?

I have a David Austin rose, 'Pilgrim', trained over an arbor and would like to plant my clematis, 'Haku Ookan', to intertwine with the rose. I've read so much about what good companions these plants are, but don't recall seeing anything on how close/far their roots should be.

The base of the rose is about one foot away from the arbor and the picket fence attached to it. Austin claims their roses, when trained as climbers, tend to be more full at the bottom than other climbers, but I'm not seeing that yet.

So, the debate I'm having with myself is whether to plant the clematis with the root system between the rose and the arbor, thereby shading the roots, and letting it come up through the base of the canes (though the base may become difficult to access in time) ... or plant it on the opposite side of the rose and just hope everything fills out in time.

As you might guess, I've never done this before, so really appreciate any advice.

BTW, this is one of four clemmies I bought from Koi Gardens after reading about their sale; potted them up in 1-gallon pots which I sunk into the ground for the winter. They're coming up beautifully this spring, and Dawn is already sporting fat flower buds!

Comments (4)