SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nnooiixx_gw

'Late Bloomer' and NC newbie - need advice on summer crops

nnooiixx
12 years ago

A couple of years ago, my husband and I moved here from Boston and we're still getting used to the long growing season here. Every year I'm fighting the clock to get everything planted in time. Anyone know vegs that I can still put in the ground right now? I'd like to still try even though its so late. I know...I know...bad gardener! Was hoping beyond hope that maybe I could still put something in my garden that wouldn't be killed by either squash vine borers or the dreaded July heat. The SVB obliterated every squash, pumpkin, cucumber and melon plant I had last year before we could harvest anything. This spring, we built 2 4'W x 8'L x 18"H raised beds and filled them with fresh, custom soil mix in a different location from last year's SVB atrocity. Just as we were going to set seed, urgent matters came up and by the time they were resolved, it was June. :P We missed the spring sowing season and now my raised veggie beds have just a few scant tomato transplants and nothing else. Please take pity on a "damn yankee" - or point and laugh at my folly. Either way we're having fun, right? ;)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES