SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bevinga

Dug up babies last fall, now what?

bevinga
17 years ago

Hi,

I was helped so very much by this forum last summer/fall, but I need your advice again.

I ordered two clematis in 3" pots last spring and went ahead and planted them, thinking that was the thing to do. Neither of them really did anything except grow about 4" and that was it. I was directed to dig them up, pot them in larger pots with good soil and allow them to grow and develop a good root system this fall and winter so that they might actually stand a chance to live. I have done that, but I'm not sure what to do now.

The clematis are growing, thankfully and look very healthy, but I don't think they are anywhere near rootbound; I'm not sure what kind of root system they have. They are about 7-8" tall right now. I've pinched the vines back in order to get them to be more full at the bottom as opposed to being straggly, then full at the top. Am I doing the wrong thing by pinching this spring?

Can I go ahead and plant them now, or do they need more time to grow, say...another year? I realize they would probably be better off when I set them out if they are more established in their pots. I desperately want to set them out, but if it would be better to wait, I can do so in order to have a better chance in them blooming and being healthy next spring-fall.

I've included links to information on both of the clematis I have. I've not been able to find any more information on these varieties anywhere else other than from the place I ordered them. I can't tell what type these are, so I don't know exactly how to care for and prune them.

Can anyone help me in figuring out the type so I will know the best pruning method, as well as give me direction as to how to care for or plant them this spring and summer?

Thanks!!!

Beverly

"Moonlight Clematis"

"Climbing Crimson Star Clematis"

Comments (4)