SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mjsdas

New help with Clivia watering and growing location

11 years ago

I am new to this forum and could use some help. I recently visited my son in LA and while I was there I had the opportunity to see many Clivia Miniata plants growing in various locations. I immediately decided that I had to have one. So when I returned to my home in CT, I set out to find a source to purchase one. I ordered one of the large specimen plants of the "Red" Clivia Miniata from the Ty Ty Nursery in GA. They call it red but it is really has flowers that are dark orange with yellow center. It arrived today and it is a relative mature large plant. After carefully rinsing off the roots, I potted it into a pot with Al's Gritty Mix 1-1-1 that I prepared according to the instructions posted on this forum. I used a pot that was approximately 2" wider around then the current size of the plants roots. This should give it an ample amount of room to grow and get bigger through the summer months.

I'm very excited about growing a Clivia Miniata but I want to make sure that I water it properly and at the proper frequency. I plan on using the Dyna-Gro Foliage-Pro 9-3-6 fertilizer at half strength every time that I water. Can anyone tell me how often that I should water this plant? Also, what is the best way to water this plant in this planting media? Should I soak the entire plant in its pot in a bucket filled with the water and fertilizer and let it sit for a couple hours and then remove it? Would it be better just to flood the plant with the water and fertilizer solution and let it just run through the plant?

I also could use advice on where best to grow this Clivia outdoors during the summer. A couple options that I am considering are on a north facing deck that I have that receives sun in the morning until about noon and then it is in the shade for the remainder or the day. Another option would be to put the plant in its pot and place it under a medium sized maple tree that I have in the south part of my yard. In this location that Clivia would get direct sun in the morning until about 11:00 am and then be shaded by the tree for the rest of the day.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions that you provide me based upon your personal experience of growing Clivia plants especially in the northeastern US. Thank you.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996