SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edymnion

Pitaya Tips?

12 years ago

I've got a pitaya (dragon fruit) that I'm growing from a cutting that is doing well.

{{gwi:589934}}

I plan on growing dragon fruit from this plant, and I've read it has to reach a critical mass (about 10 pounds of total plant) before it will even think about flowering. Assuming, of course, this is one of the breeds that can self pollinate, that is (Its a pink/white, I've found conflicting information as to whether or not it is self fertile).

As you can see, its happily growing 3 new limbs from the original cutting, and I've got a few questions I haven't been able to find answers to on the net at large, figured you guys might be able to help.

1) At this point I'm thinking of letting it keep all 3 arms and let them grow up the climbing pole I made for it (the wooden frame behind it in the pic, 5' stake wrapped in hemp rope, with a crossbar for bracing in the pot). I'm going to have to overwinter this one indoors, so letting it get 10 feet tall and turn into a palm tree isn't really an option. Plus, 3 branches = 3x the mass in the same basic volume, hopefully meaning quicker, more compact fruiting. Are there any obvious issues with letting it go along with 3 arms from the get go, or should I prune to make it focus on one?

2) It is going to require that climbing pole eventually, but of course my placement was junk so none of the arms are actually growing towards it (one is pretty close though). They're all rather inflexible at this point, but I'm assuming as they get longer it'll be safer to try and train them to the pole with some twine, something like a grape vine? At least until it gets some air roots to grab on with by itself, that is.

3) When it comes time to bring it indoors, odds are I'll have to prune it to some degree. Is there a generally accepted way to do that in order to both minimize trauma to the main plant, and to make the trimmed sections into viable cuttings? As in, stick a rubber band around it a few weeks ahead of time to start constricting it off to make a smaller wound, or would it be safe to just whack it off?

4) Any other tips or tricks I should know about? I'm usually of the "the plant knows what its doing, just let it do it's own thing" mindset, but having never grown anything remotely similar to this before, any experience you may have would be appreciated.

For the record, the potting mix is about 1/2-2/3s cactus/succulent mix from miracle grow, and the rest standard potting soil. What I read said it liked high organic matter concentrations, so figured it was a good idea to mix some regular dirt in with the sandy mix. Seems to like it well enough. And you can ignore the white spots on the stems, its just some dried sevin spray (nobody is eating this thing but ME! =P)

Comments (45)