Costus erythropyllus- purple queen

Costus osae- Red rose costus

Costus malrotieanum- Stepladder costus

Costus stenophylus

costus curvibracteatus orange

Costus woodsonii

Costus comosus

Costus cuspidatus

Alpinia galanga -Galangal (spice used in thai kitchen)

Alpinia formosana - pinstripe

Alpinia japonica

Alpinia purpurata red

Alpinia nutans narrow leaf

Hedychium Kewense

Hedychium Daniel Weeks

Hedychium coronarium- Butterfly ginger

Psittacorum Lady Di

Heliconia Cari-Bihai green thumb

Heliconia Cari-Bihai Kawachi

Heliconia Rostrata- Pendant Lobster claw

Heliconia episcopalis -Orange spear

Heliconia guadalupe

Mexican flame wine, potted established

Virginia chain saw fern

Green wave fern

Philodendron gloriosum

Philodendron mamey

Pitaya dragon fruit- Physical graffity, Yellow

Lemon grass (potted established)

Keiffer lime seedling (established), leaves and fruit used in thai cooking

Cooking ginger (great lemony flavor)

Hoya latifolia

Mounted staghorn fern

Aglaonema commutatum (Silver queen)

Then there is some cactus, begonias, ferns, bromeliads.

Let the trading begin! Veronika

Comments (150)

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for the info on the plants. I feel the same way about rules PLUS in addition, maybe zone 9 will be a 9.5 or 10 thanks to global warming, right?

I plan on giving them a shot, they are very attractive trees and a two story height isnt all that bad, but I doubt that height will ever happen here in zone 9.

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Is there an extra pink one? I have just the place for it.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

I have 10 of the pinks - 3 plants to a pot. And for our spring swap, I'm hoping the one I put in the ground will have seeds to raise more!

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

Cherie, is it too late to ask for one of the bromeliads (plantswap008)? and I love your begonias, if you still have them to trade.

Evelyn

• cdbinfl
    16 years ago

Evelyn,
    I'll bring you some of the Begonia and I'll go and check to see if there is more of the bromeliad that I can bring. I've promised one out already but I'll check to see.

If you still have some of your dancing girl ginger I would love a piece, and I also like the look of your Gloxina.

Cherie

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

Anita, do you still have a clerodendrum musical note for trade? I thought mine would make it, but not so :-/

Cherie, I'll bring you dancing girl ginger kikis and Gloxinia.

Evelyn

• anitaathome
    16 years ago

Evelyn:

Sorry your notes went flat! (Ouch) Happy to bring you a replacement.

Anita

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

Thanks Anita :-)

ok, this is what I have written down so far. If I messed up or forgot a trade, please let me know:

Veronika wants: rosella, red curcuma, Hedychium Shery baby, for:
    Hoya latifolia, lemon grass

Anita wants: zebra grass, mona lavendar, pineapple sage, pink salvia, black&blue saliva, red cardinal climber seeds, yellow datura, dancing girl ginger yellow, for:
    fig plant, purple dancing lady ginger, fuzzy tibouchina, musical note clero.

D'Ann (jupiterplants) wants: Mona lavender, pineapple sage, for:
    coleus

butterfly gardener wants: cardinal climber, morning glory, for:
    bat faced cuphea cutting

Helen (wanna run faster) wants: Hed. shery baby, for:
    vanilla orchid (see Email offer), naked lady bulb, miniblinds

cherie wants: dancing girl ginger, gloxinia, for:
    begonia, maybe bromeliad

Looking forward to meeting you all on Sunday :-)

Evelyn

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

Sounds good Evelyn! If Hedy Sherry Baby is too small, don't worry about taking a cutting now. I can always get one in the spring :) What kind of begonias are you interested in? I have at least one angel wing I can bring cuttings of (Sinbad).

Veronika or anyone else:

Do you have any tall (8 feet+) or super tall (10 feet +) heliconia clumpers that you would be interested in trading a rhizome of? I'm lusting after a few at Montonsa Gardens but thought I'd check with you first! I have a few named plummies (I really have no place for all of them) that I got as cuttings from Hawaii and which (I think) are rooted now. I also have a decent sized rooted plummie pudica...and a couple of orchids. But feel free to look on my list and see if there is anything in particular you would be interested in.

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

Oh, and I also have a Hibiscus Irish Eyes that I've been training as a standard to trade for tall / super tall heliconia!

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Evelyn
    Any more of the red cardinal climber seeds? I'd love to try them.

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

Cindee, I am sure I have a few more for you :-)

Evelyn

• cindeea
    16 years ago

thanks Evie, anything I have that interests you? I have 3 Miami Rose plumeria cuttings, and a pudica bridal veil....

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

I'd love to have a Miami Rose plumeria cutting, thanks :-)

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Your name is on one Evie! The original tree came from Cliff (tropicalfreak) he drove to meet me 1/2 way across the everglades this spring just to get it to me. It is really pretty. I have it at my front door and it was getting buggy and gangly after blooming this summer. I washed the whole plant down with a light bleach and insecticidal soap after trimming off all the leaves. I made the cuttings then and also let them set a few hours in a weak soapy (pet shampoo) mix. Then let them harden off before potting. Here's a pic of the Miami Rose blooms.
    {{gwi:426210}}

• cdbinfl
    16 years ago

Evelyn,
    I checked on the Bromeliad you wanted and they are just now starting to put out pups. There is only one that is big enough to remove successfully and I have promised it to Veronika. However, I do have several large pups of Aechmea Fasciata. The bloom lasts a really long time.Would you like one of these until the others have a chance to grow. I'm sure I'll have plenty for a Spring Swap.

The picture here is one I pulled off the internet. I did not take a picture of them when they were in bloom.
    Cherie

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Cherie, if you have several pups of this beauty, could I beg one? What else can I offer you besides the Curcuma?

• cdbinfl
    16 years ago

Cindeea,
    I have several, I'll save one for you. I think the circuma was meant for someone else.

I do love the Plumeria you posted above, would it be too much to ask for a cutting in trade? I also have some gardening magazines to bring you.

Cherie

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

yes Cherie, I don't have this bromeliad yet, so it would be nice to get a pup.

Helen, I already have the angelwing begonias (red and pink) but no other begonia yet.

Evelyn
    digging around in the yard yesterday I chopped off a (small) piece of my hidden curcuma. anyone like a pink curcuma root piece?

• growgrow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Helen,
    sorry I missed your post about the heliconias:
    I have bunch of clumping ones: green thumb (which is dark burgundy color with the first bracket green, I also have kawachi, peachy pink (would have to check if I can divide that one), heliconia criswick (very large 18-20ft).
    Veronika

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Cherie-it was D'Ann that asked for the curcuma, still I have plenty rhizomes if you want, too. I have you down for the candlestick cassia seeds and the key lime seedling. I just recently took one of the key limes out of the pot and planted it in a bed. It is growing nicely for me.

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

Veronika,

How tall does the green thumb get? I think I would be thrilled with either that or the criswick if you have any still available. What can I bring you? If you are interested in the plummies, their names are on my list, a couple didn't make it. Do you have a cinnamon plant? I have 2 tiny seedlings, I could bring you one. My stevia is still going strong! I also have a seedling nyctanthes arbor-tristis. http://www.rareflora.com/nycanthes.html JLMK

Evelyn I'll bring some Sinbad, very pretty especially in a hanging basket or as a ground cover.

Does anyone know if Carmen is coming?

• cdbinfl
    16 years ago

Cindeea,
    I was not sure you had seen the request for the keylime seedling and Cassia seeds as I had not seen a response.

I have lots of other stuff, see link above and also link in the discussion page for See My Yard. If there is something else you might want in exchange for a Miami Rose, I would love one, but if not that is okay as well.
    Cherie

• growgrow
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Helen,
    the green thumb gets 10-12ft. So does the Kawachi.
    The criswick gets huge, but I am not sure if I can divide it yet. Let me check what I have.
    I would be interested in cinnamon plant and seedlings of that lover tree (that is duable in partial shade, right?)
    Veronika

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

I just noticed seed pods on my Hibiscus 'Red Flyer' (Red Flyer Mallow)
    those are added to my swap list now :-)

Evelyn

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    16 years ago

Holy Cow!!! Evelyn, if that picture hasn't been doctored, please save me a seed or two. That's the biggest hibiscus flower I've ever seen!

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

That is unbelieveable! Must be all that good food Evelyn is feeding it!

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

nope, no special food for this one, but yes, the flowers are humongous. The plant goes dormant over the winter, and shoots up in spring so fast you can watch it grow.
    Actually, it was advertised as no seeding (plants delight nursery)

Yes Ricky, I will bring you some seeds.

Evelyn

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

ooooooooooohhhhhh.
    Evelyn
    I would like the big red mallow seeds too :)

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

Jupiterplants, I will bring you some too :-)

Evelyn

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Evelyn, I'd like some of the red mallow seeds, if you have any left,please.

Cherie, I'd like the begonia with the lime green center if you can. I have a yellow plummie cutting or some different cannas.

Helen, if you want I'll transport what ever you had for Ginny to her.

• coffeemom
    16 years ago

Helen, have I got a deal for you. I have a stephanotis in a big pot that isn't looking well and needs a good home. Would you be interested in giving it some TLC? I bet it would do much better in the ground. We just have to figure out how to get it to your house.
    The cannas you gave me last spring have been a delight, tho I've been fighting leaf rollers. They are UGLY!

• cdbinfl
    16 years ago

Katkin,
    This one?

No worries about a trade, it's a small piece anyway. I'll mark it for you.
    Cherie

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Cherie-I have a Miami Rose for you as well. I have made all my notes in my lil book, so I hope I don't forget anything or anyone. Sunday is going to be so much fun. Today I was in town and picked up something nice for our host and hostess. Man, I love swaps. They are a real butt kicker. Looking forward to seeing old and new friends on Sunday. I decided to bring my Dads Tomato Basil salad. Hope ya'all like it. It should be real tasty with Ricky's kick-ass pulled pork!

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Yes, Cherie, that's it. Thanks, I would be interested in other begonias with pretty leaves you might have as well. ;o) I have a cutting of the yellow plummie all harden off and ready to plant.

• abendwolke
    16 years ago

Katkin, yes, you can have Red Flyer Hibiscus seeds :-)

Evelyn
    Last minute wish: does anyone have a Barbados Cherry for me?

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Cherie, I was just reading some of the back posts, and we met at Megan's (Piece of Paradice) swap in Palm City a couple of years ago.

Anita, I would love the plume plants any or all if not traded. Also a piece of the fuzzy tib.

Cindee, yes to the epi and do you have more of the Miami Rose to share?

WRF, any more pepper plants left?

• cdbinfl
    16 years ago

Thanks Cindee, I will bring you something special for the Miami Rose.

Katkin, I thought we met at that swap but wasn't sure, your name sounded familiar. It will be good to re-meet!I'll bring you another begonia as well, that I really love, big round fuzzy leaves with red undersides, grown from a piece from my grandmother.

Cherie

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Cherie, I would love your grandmothers begonia, thanks. :o)We'll have to tour each others gardens too, sometime.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Katkin-you get the last Miami Rose.

• cdbinfl
    16 years ago

Katkin, Yes we should tour each other's gardens!

And thanks for the offer of the Yellow plumie, I have three and they are all, you guessed it it, yellow.

Cherie

• katkin_gw
    16 years ago

Ok, how about the evergreen pudica? I'll prune a piece off, but it should be left to harden over before you plant it.

• JoanM
    16 years ago

Heys guys, I don't have much experience starting plants but I made an attempt so I would have something to share. I snipped and stuck in a pot 2 pieces of Giant Fantasy coleus and 2 pieces of Inky Fingers coleus, 1 blackberry waffles coleus. I dug up 3 small Kimberly ferns, 3 Portweeds. I attempted to separate a baby from my agave attenuata but I had no idea how to do it and I got barely any roots so I have no idea if it will make it. I have two pieces of epidendrum radicans (i think that is what you guys id'd it as) that I haven't potted because I can't figure out how to do it, but I have been watering them :-> I also have a bucket of bromeliads that I had dug up months ago when I had a tree removed in Stuart. I forgot all about them and they aren't in soil either but they appear to be fine.

These are the bromeliads

I have two of these NOID plants, might be succulents.

These are the epi pieces

I don't want any plants since I am moving but I really need a piece of the tree sunflower.

Wannarunfaster, can you bring me a piece of the tree sunflower? Would you like anything that I am bringing?

• cindeea
    16 years ago

JoanM looking forward to seeing you again. Do you have a small Brom to share? Do you know the name of that one?

• JoanM
    16 years ago

Cindee, I have no idea what they are called. They were planted at my new place in Stuart. I think we can pull them apart and get quite few broms from that bucket. Maybe the expert at the swap can teach me how to separate things. Then again all we have to do is give Kathy a knife and she will take care of it :->

• msmarion
    16 years ago

Joan I 'll be happy to bring sunflower tree for you.

• anitaathome
    16 years ago

Katkin:

I have the plume plants and tibochina for you.

Joanm: I have that succulent. It was called burros ears or donkey ears where I got it. A really sweet plant! I also have the bromeliad - I got it from the brom society at the Leu Garden Plant sale. I will look if it still has a label.

Both are very nice plants!!!!

• barbcoleus
    16 years ago

Cindee,
    I have a bunch of those bromeliads. They are called Neoregelia spectabilis. You can have several if you like. Thanks again for the plants, I've planted everything outside and Jan came over today and picked up her Mexican Sunflowers.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Barb, you already gave me a few of those broms and they are doing quite well! I was hoping for a name and I have another smaller idea for where I'd like to put another one or two. I hope your plants do well. I hate to say I have already devoured most of the AV magazines you brought me, all ready! lol I can't save anything!

• JoanM
    16 years ago

Thanks Marion. I see two of those sunflower trees on my way home from work everyday and they look pretty hardy.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction