SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blooming_annie

Sustainable or xeriscape landscaping?

Blooming_annie
16 years ago

Hello everyone. Are you making moves towards sustainable landscaping or xeriscaping or greenscaping or some other environmentally sensitve gardening practice? I hate the whole grass thing and so am changing some things myself. I've done a lot of web research but so much of what is written is for different climates than ours. I know the principles are the same but the plants sure aren't! I'd love to hear about your experiences and goals and experiments if you are going in that direction.

Currently, I'm redoing my front yard with these goals in mind: 1) reduce the area of high-maintenance lawn, 2)use a buffer zone of planted areas near hardscape to reduce runoff, 3) use more drought-tolerant plants, 4) cluster the thirsty plants together 5)put in some food sources for the birds and maybe for me 5)put in more shade trees and 6) do it cheaply! I already love the effect and have only just gotten started.

I used to spend a lot of time on Gardenweb and, of course, gardening, but kind of got away from both for awhile. I'm just now getting back into it and have really been inspired reading all of your posts.

Comments (5)